PopTray upgrade to PopTray U

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Ed P
Still here

PopTray upgrade to PopTray U

Post by Ed P » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Is there a way to upgrade from one to the other? Not an impossible task but would be nice if not necessary.

PopTray has been working fine on Windows 7 32-bit right up until recently. Now the Tray icon disappears after awhile and I can't get it back. PopTray is still running and announcing new emails but not Tray icon to click on. I assumed a conflict with some recent Windows update but it's working fine on the Windows 7 64-bit machine.
Ed

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 am

Hello Ed_P...

PoptrayU is a rewrite of the original Poptray... What you are asking is possible ( and if you are who I think you are, you can probably handle it )... but it wasn't made with upgrading in mind so it would need to be done manually.

I"m going to break up my posts/suggestions into several parts... first to see if we can address the Poptray issue or not without any reinstall etc... then to tell you how to migrate your Poptray settings into a PoptrayU installation.

First lets see if we can address the problem with Poptray itself.

Run MSCONFIG and disable all non-Microsoft startup items with the exception of Poptray. Restart Windows and see if Poptray is then in the system tray. Remember that Windows can "hide" some tray icons... so also check to ensure that isn't all that has happened. If Poptray shows up... re-run MSCONFIG and re-enable all items... restart Windows and again double check for the Poptray icon. If the icon disappeared again... isolate which startup program is the culprit and decide if you want to do without it etc.

If that didn't help at all... or you can't do without whatever may have been conflicting... go to the next post/suggestion

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 am

Part two... migrating Poptray settings etc to a new installation of PoptrayU.

PoptrayU takes into account the newer program requirements for running on Vista, Win7 and Win8. It also supports decoding UTF-8 encoded emails/subject lines... so it is worthy of consideration to upgrade.

Install PoptrayU as normal and select to have it put it's config files in the user folders. Don't run it yet though.

Copy your Poptray\plugin folder into the new PoptrayU\plugin folder. If you also have the SSL plugin installed in Poptray... copy the libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll files into the PoptrayU folder.

Next...

Copy any file with the extentions of...
*.ids
*.ptdat
*.customize
*.ini
... into your \User\[username]\AppData\Roaming\PoptrayU folder

Close Poptray if you haven't yet... Open PoptrayU and then in it's Options->Defaults settings... correct any incorrect program locations for email and sound.. Also update the User file location listed as the last item.

Close PoptrayU ... reopen it and test that all of your accounts are working as expected. If all is working fine... you can then uninstall the old Poptray.

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 am

Hi Randy, thanks for responding.

Well, I was impatient and upgraded manually.

I left PopTray installed and installed PopTrayU along side it. I then opened each app's window, clicked on their Accounts tabs and cut and pasted the info from the old app to the new app, then did the same for the Option tabs. It took about 10-15 minutes but it wasn't difficult. I let them both run for a couple of days then removed the start for PopTray from the Startup menu.

At this point I am a fan of PopTrayU.

Any idea when the beta version will be upgraded to a RC version?
Last edited by Ed P on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 pm

I simply "babysit" the forum and have no part in the development itself. So all of the following, are best guesses and not based on anything I've heard etc.

At this point I suspect the only differences you'd find between the beta and RC would be at most a matter of it being slightly more polished in the areas that were updated.

The UTF-8 seems solid now... so any changes here would probably be just additional language support and that would require a volunteer that is familiar with a particular language to lend a hand.

The changes to support Vista and newer... already seems to work well with the exception of no support for migrating from the older versions of Poptray.

So that leaves the HTML preview support as the main place that you MAY see additional polish added. Right now there is no support for blocking of images to address privacy concerns or scripts to address security issues. These were a lot of the reasons that Renier hadn't added this support... of course now users that are worried about these issues can simply not select the HTML tab if it concerns them... and users that wanted the support can use it.

The rest of the code, that wasn't changed for the above features... is still the original Poptray code which was already pretty stable...

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 pm

The code is definitely stable, I'm just hoping it is still supported.

Any idea what happened to the "other" forum you're active in? It's been offline for at least a month at this point. The rest of the site is still up.
Ed

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm

It's a big unknown on UBCD4Win's forum... R1Soft took over the right's to UBCD4Win as well as the forum... the initial plan was to have both a freeware version ( as it existed ) and a paid version after they had redesigned a builder of their own... nothing ever came of these plans per se from what I know.

When UBCD4Win went down, I emailed Ben ( Steeltrepid ) and he tried to contact R1Soft... but has never received a response or even a comment that they were going to drop it or whatever.

If I were to make a wild guess ( which is all it would be at the moment )... the contact that Ben had probably doesn't work there anymore and no one was assigned to take that persons place.

Because of all of the above... I had tried to even edit my sig on 911Cd and found out that I don't have permission to do that now and hadn't been even notified of that change going to happen... so I'm reluctant to post there since my sig has links to UBCD4Win which is for all purposes another dead project now.

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 pm

Rdsok wrote:It's a big unknown on UBCD4Win's forum... R1Soft took over the right's to UBCD4Win as well as the forum...
:o Wow!! I wasn't aware of that.
Because of all of the above... I had tried to even edit my sig on 911Cd and found out that I don't have permission to do that now and hadn't been even notified of that change going to happen...
!! I wasn't aware of that either. However, I still have admin privileges, PM me there with the changes you want made.
Ed

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 pm

BTW Two changes I made to my PopTrayU install folder;

I added a shortcut to the PopTrayU's appdata folder.
I made a backup copy of the PopTray.ini in it.
And will probably add a small script to backup the PopTray.ini there.

All minor to be sure.
Ed

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:34 am

i also tried this way, the accounts are recognized correct, also the rules file is working

anyway my old white and blacklist are not

any help would be appreciated, as my whitelist is 50k big ;)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:37 am

Koarl wrote:i also tried this way, the accounts are recognized correct, also the rules file is working

anyway my old white and blacklist are not

any help would be appreciated, as my whitelist is 50k big ;)
You need to tell us more if you want some help...

What OS are you running?
Where did you tell PoptrayU to place your user files during the installation?
Where exactly did you place the files you copied?

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:14 am

Rdsok wrote: You need to tell us more if you want some help...
OK, here we go ;)
Rdsok wrote: What OS are you running?
XP 32bit SP3

Rdsok wrote: Where did you tell PoptrayU to place your user files during the installation?
in the program folder, same Poptray did before
Rdsok wrote:Where exactly did you place the files you copied?
in c:\programme\poptrayu as i am running a German WinXP

anyhow, the whitelist is working now, but the blacklist does not. So i deleted the blacklistfile and manually added one line with a word, that's easy to find and saved it.

but there's no blaclist.ptdat in my poptrayU folder after that

so i did a *.* filesearch on my complete c:\ with total commander and searched for the exact phrase i put in blacklist, but totalcommander found nothing on the whole disk

looks like the devil is in my office ;)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Let's try something that was needed in certain cases with Poptray to see if it helps with PoptrayU... Completely close ( not minimize ) PoptrayU... reopen it... go into the options and add another email address to the blacklist. Save the option and close just the window... reopen the Options to see if the item is in the list.

When searching for the file.. it will be in the same folder as the whitelist file. If you spelled it wrong as you did here... nothing would be found

the filename is BlackList.ptdat

You actually don't need to search either... just look in the folder that PoptrayU lists for the location as I described earlier in this thread.

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:03 pm

when i copy the old blacklist.ptdat file from Poptray to PoptrayU the adresses are listed in the settings, but if i delete one line in PoptrayU the adress isn't gone in the blacklist.ptdat file, neither does the date and time from the file change

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Make certain your user account has the proper permissions for making changes in the folder and on that file...

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:53 pm

sure, i have admin rights ;)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Well... we've covered the standard stuff and there are no known issues using PoptrayU on XP.... I'll recap just in case you missed something although I suspect it is redundant.

Verify the PoptrayU user file settings are where you think ( in your case, the program folder ) by looking in Options->Default

Make certain your user account has full rights to the folder and files... even if you are an admin, the security rights must be proper or it won't make changes.

I'd add to double check if the files in question are also not set to read only.

Make certain when you do change anything on a whitelist/blacklist item that you also click the save button.

You may want to check your Windows error logs just in case something is being shown there that is related to your Windows installation itself... normally you should see a popup if some type of error like this happens but maybe your Windows isn't normal somehow ( which is unlikely but worth a mention )

gracie
Fanatic

Post by gracie » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:07 pm

rdsok, as always, your instructions were so helpful. in anticipation of getting a new win8 machine, i decided to install poptrayU on my WinXP machine (alongside poptray) and followed your instructions, EXCEPT i had poptrayU install for "all users" since it's just my admin and my power user accounts on the machine, and i like everything available in both. once i got brave and overwrote the poptray.ini that the intall put there, everything showed up peachy-keen!

but i had a major issue which i've finally solved, and am posting here the solution in case someone else hits it: it choked checking any SSL accounts (PopSSL on port 995). i downloaded and installed the new SSL plugin thinking maybe the one it installed was the old one from poptray, but the application choked and threw up an error message.

i then realized that in copying over the poptray.ini, the section on "plugins" had an entry for the old SSL plugin and that might be choking things. So I deleted those lines in poptray.ini (leaving the rest of the old info so as not to lose my accounts), reinstalled the new SSL dlls (which don't install in plugins but in the program directory), and voila! it worked.

hope that helps someone else. editing a few lines and doing some troubleshooting (this took me an hour of scratching my head ;)) is worth being able to retain all my accounts, options, lists, etc.

thanx!!!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks gracie

The SSL was covered very briefly in the third post if someone was wanting to do it all manually... but I didn't get into great detail since that often confuses some people... so it's easily missed.

Simply re-installing the plugin as you mentioned should work just fine as long as you remember to close and restart the program after the install and after enabling it... Poptray and PoptrayU runs in memory and a complete reload ( stop/restart ) is required so it re-reads its files/settings.