PopTray problem on my new Win 7 laptop

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Nikilet
Enthusiast

PopTray problem on my new Win 7 laptop

Post by Nikilet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 am

I have been using PopTray on my Vista machine for quite a long time.

Tonight I downloaded and installed PopTray 3.2 on my new Windows 7 laptop. After I first set up the account and clicked the Test button, it opened my Windows Mail account. But now I click on it to open it and nothing happens. It will not open.

Apparently I can right click on the PopTray icon, choose "Show Messages" and then I can select to check mail. I don't have to do this step on Vista. I just click on the icon and it opens.

If you know of a setting where I don't have to go through the extra step please advise.

Thankis!! :)

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:13 am

I'm going to start over. Nothing is working on PopTray in Windows 7.

I can right click the icon and click on the "Show Messages" but when I do that nothing happens, even though there is mail. Also, I don't get my sound announcement that I have new mail.

My whole purpose in having PopTray is so that I can open it and toss all the junk mail before it ever downloads into my Windows Mail account.

I'd sure appreciate some help -- advice.

Thanks

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:02 pm

While you can change your Win7 User Access Control settings and get Poptray to work in it... it would also drop the additional security that Win7 brings and Poptray was never updated for full Vista, Win7 and Win8 compatibility...

These reasons and others we recommend that you install PoptrayU instead, which is the forum area that you posted in even. Not only is it compatible with the newer versions of Windows, it also adds other features like properly showing UTF-8 subject lines and other updates..

See http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Thank you so very much!

I will uninstall the version I have and try this PopTrayU. :D

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:27 am

When I ran the original PopTray on Windows 7 I ran it in Compatibility Mode. On one machine in Windows XP SP2 and another Windows Vista SP2.
Ed

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:08 pm

I haven't gotten around to starting my laptop and making any changes. I will try the compatibility mode to see what happens. If it doesn't work for me then I will use the PopTrayU suggested.

Thanks for the input!

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:21 am

RdSok: I uninstalled PopTray and installed PopTrayU.

I'm making progress but still no cigar. Everything is working normally, except I can not run Windows Mail from PopTray by selecting "Run Email Client." That's not the end of the world, but still wondering why it won't work.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:11 pm

You can not run Windows Mail on any Windows 7 computer... Win7 does not come with a working copy of it or any email client installed due to regulations put on MS by the EU ( European Union )... the only OS to have Windows Mail is Vista.

You can, however, download for free... Windows Live Mail from Microsoft if you wish... it is part of a package of free software and a quick search on the internet will get you a link to the download.

The following info applies to both Poptray and PoptrayU.

Once you actually have an email client installed and it is set to the default email client... PoptrayU will open it without you needing to do anything else ( other than setup up the email client of course ).

If you have more than one email client installed and you don't want PoptrayU to open that one, but a secondary one that you had installed and setup... you can set that up in the Options-> defaults settings area if you just want to use a single email client ( different from your default email client ) OR you can setup a different email client for each account if you wish on the Accounts options area...

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 am

Are you sure about your information? I asked someone who I consider very knowledgeable and their answer was:

"The European Union agreement with MS didn’t even cover Windows Mail, it covered Internet Explorer not being part of Windows and allowing users to remove it if they wish. It had nothing to do with Windows Mail at all."

In any event, I'm sure I would never be interested in Windows Live Mail.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 am

I am positive that Windows Mail is not included with Win7 or Win8 and you can verify it easily by performing an internet search... There are ways to "hack" it into them... but those aren't supported and you'd be on your own in that regard anyway since that isn't related directly to Poptray/PoptrayU itself

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:22 am

OK - I know Windows Mail is not included with Win7/8. Thanks for responding.

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 pm

As rdsok said Win 7 & 8 come without an email client installed. With Win 7 I did the download and install of Microsoft's Windows Live Mail client. It works well with both versions of PopTray for viewing emails. I don't use it for sending emails just viewing some of them.
Ed

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

I thnk I've got a work-around solution for my particular problem.

Thanks to all for the kind help!!! :)