PopTrayU and Outlook 2013 (Win 8.1)

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

gracie
Fanatic

PopTrayU and Outlook 2013 (Win 8.1)

Post by gracie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 am

Got a new Windows 8.1 machine, including Outlook 2013 as my new email client, and of course one of the first things I did was install PopTrayU. But I'm having a problem that didn't exist on my old XP machines using Eudora, and I don't know if it's a PopTray or Outlook issue.

When I hit reply, PopTray U properly opens Outlook with a new, filled out reply message ready to type in. So far, just like I'm used to (except that annoying quoting the whole email instead of highlighted text thing I posted about here before). But when I finish composing the reply and hit "send" (I have it set to send immediately), Outlook closes before the message has a moment to go from the outbox, where Outlook always puts messages for a second, into the sent items. So the message never actually goes out---and I don't discover that until ages later when I happen to open Outlook and see (if I'm observant) it sitting still in the outbox.

If I open Outlook first, then hit reply in PTU, everything works as it should---it goes from the outbox to sent and Outlook stays open. So it appears to be something in the way PTU opens Outlook, as if PTU sends it a command to "open program with email ready, then close program when she hits send". Eudora never closed after doing this.

Any thoughts? I hate the idea of keeping Outlook running, since much of the time, I just read my emails in PTU and delete them!

With Eudora on XP, messages never went into an outbox first like they do on Outlook, so this wasn't a problem. Other than this, still LOVING PTU, and don't know people live without it!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:22 am

Gracie,

I'm going to have to just wing this one... I can't find any documentation that says one way or the other. So this is circumstantial info only...

I'm going to guess that this is how Outlook works with a mapi ( the protocol used to transfer to Outlook ) reply.

I'm basing this from how my Picasa program works with Outlook when I'm sending inline images in an email from within Picasa... Picasa opens a new email and inserts the pics into the body of the email, I then make whatever changes I wish and add a recipent... then I hit send... Note that the main Outlook program doesn't open, just a new email dialog window and that I must next open the full Outlook before the email is actually sent.

I'm using Outlook 2013 and have had this same behavior in Win7, Win8 and Win8.1. If I recall, this was also how Outlook 2010 behaved but that was a long time ago, so it could have been with an earlier version that I first noticed it.

gracie
Fanatic

Post by gracie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks as always, Rdsok. Just knowing that you're seeing the same at least lets me know it's not me ;). If I open Outlook first, and then hit "reply" in PTU, it still opens the reply, but also stays open even after I hit send.

And here's another "wow, look at that" bit: remember I'd posted that I missed the old behavior I saw in PT where I could highlight a phrase from an email in PT, hit reply, and it would open a reply in Eudora with just the highlighted text? And PTU didn't do that---it quoted the whole dang email, and you said that was normal, and what I used to get (and loved) wasn't.

Well, it continued doing that on the new Win 8.1 machine with Outlook---quoted the whole email., and thanks to your original reply, I just sighed and accepted it.

BUT when I opened Outlook first, and then hit reply in PTU with some text highlighted (old habits die hard!) it just seemed to work! Not sure if it will continue working, but thank heavens for small favors :).

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:51 am

Gracie,
In PopTrayU, if you are on the plain text tab, it will reply to the selected text. If you are on the HTML tab, it copies the entire message. Sorry the HTML tab doesn't have that feature implemented yet.
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU

gracie
Fanatic

Post by gracie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:21 am

jojobear99 wrote:Gracie,
In PopTrayU, if you are on the plain text tab, it will reply to the selected text. If you are on the HTML tab, it copies the entire message. Sorry the HTML tab doesn't have that feature implemented yet.
That may be the key, jojobear99! I will check that out. Thanks.