Delete Mails with Spamihilator

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Koarl
Evolving

Delete Mails with Spamihilator

Post by Koarl » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:54 am

As described by Dave (thx a lot BTW) i installed PoptrayU and Spamihilator

But: How do i delete unwanted mails before i use my Becky mailer to collect the mails from various accounts?

any hint would be appreciated

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Since I don't use a spam filter... I'm going to have to wing it a bit but hopefully you'll get an idea for it..

How you choose to delete will depend a lot on how the spams are marked... If they are simply marked [SPAM] ( or similar ) without any other wording or percentage of chance it's a spam ( like 50% 90% etc )... then you'd probably just make a rule in Poptray to mark it as spam with simple rule like...

Subject -> Contains -> [SPAM] then mark as spam. This gives you an option to preview each one before you click the "Delete Spam" button. Please note that the spelling of the [SPAM] portion must be exactly as given by the program... if you miss a space in it or something your Poptray rule won't work properly.

If it gives you a percentage of chance that it is or isn't a spam... you could use more complex rules that could delete them automatically or just mark them depending on what percentage chance of it being spam... see viewtopic.php?t=2883

Dave may be around to give better suggestions at some point... but that should give you some direction to use until then.

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:58 am

Spamihilator blocks spam for comming in poptray, it does not act same K9 does

But when i collect mails with Becky all spam mail coming in, because i am talking to my pop3 servers directly

thats why i'm looking for an option to delete the unwanted mails before ;)

any help would be appreciated

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:43 pm

Ok... then you are suppose to also setup your Email client in the same manner that you setup Poptray so it is also being filtered by Spamihilator and then you would look at the emails detected as spam or not spam in Spamihilator and then decide to delete or not delete them as well as redefine them ( mark as spam or not ). At that point... PoptrayU would only be a additional and redundant checker as well as an email notifier.

An alternate setup to consider... setup your email client to be filtered directly through Spamihilator.... but setup PoptrayU to access your email server directly so you can choose to delete something or not before ( or after ) Spamihilator.

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am

thx for answering

as i have more than 10 Pop3 accounts, i am lazy to change the setup from my Becky mailer

but i have an old poptray K9 installation, so i will monitor closely and choose which setup will be the final decision on my new PC, coming next week

Maybe Dave is having a look in here soon and can help me ;)

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 am

Koarl wrote:Spamihilator blocks spam for comming in poptray, it does not act same K9 does

But when i collect mails with Becky all spam mail coming in, because i am talking to my pop3 servers directly

thats why i'm looking for an option to delete the unwanted mails before ;)

any help would be appreciated
Hi Koarl,

Spamihilator was causing me a lot of clicking on the interface and evaluating mail myself, so I moved on. I have began using PopFile. It works much as K9 worked with a few exceptions. One being that it will work with SSL accounts. It sets between PopTrayU (or your mail client) and the mail server, then classifies the mail for PopTrayU to do it's job.

You can find my setup directions at the following location:
viewtopic.php?t=3902

PopTrayU works with PopFile as it always did. Just 4 new rules to change. You can still use a lot of your previous rules if you need them.

It takes a little bit of training for PopFile to learn what you consider as Spam, what you want deleted and so on. It's called RECLASSIFY in PopFile. Read my instructions and setup accordingly, then check out the PopFile instructions on their site about MAGNETS too.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Koarl
Evolving

Post by Koarl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 am

thx, i just found out, that it's easy with spamihilator also, just look in the list and choose delete and the mails are gone forever

anyhow i will give your new setup a look on the weekend, thx for the hint

best regards from vienna :D