PopTray question

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Nikilet
Enthusiast

PopTray question

Post by Nikilet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:41 am

On my Windows 7 laptop I am using Windows Live Mail, which to the best of my knowledge is set up as a POP3 account. When I click on the "Run E-mail Client" box PopTray always opened Windows Live Mail and messages were downloaded.

I have no clue what happened to change that, but now when I click on "Run E-mail Client" absolutely nothing happens. I have to open Windows Live Mail through it's icon because PopTray will no longer open it.

To make it more confusing, I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am also using Windows Live Mail on that computer and PopTray works as it is supposed to.

Anyone know what gives?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:48 am

Verify that the path to your email client in Options->Defaults is set correctly

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:09 am

I looked on my Vista desktop and under options/Defaults it shows the E-mail program as: "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe"

I looked on my laptop under Options/Defaults and it said: Windows Mail. I changed it to show the same as above and it still will not open the email account and download messages.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:25 am

Use the browse ( ... ) feature to find/locate the proper path to your email client... don't just edit it directly. 32b and 64b versions of Windows do have different paths

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 am

The path is right

C/Program Files/Windows Live/Mail/wlmail.exe

but clicking on "Run Email Client" in PopTray on my laptop will NOT open my Windows Live Mail account.

It does on my desktop and the path is exactly the same.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:34 pm

An incorrect path is the only thing that could cause the issue.

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:37 pm

I guess i don't know how to convince you that the path appears to be correct but it still doesn't work. Does this forum accept screenshots?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:38 am

A screenshot will not change what I posted about the only known cause of the issue I mentioned.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 am

The proper path on a 32b Windows ( not mispelled as you did earlier ) in the default locations for Live Mail on the C drive

"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe"

The proper path on a 64b Windows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe"

... also as I mentioned earlier... if you use the ... to locate the executable program file... it helps ensure you are using the proper path.

There are no other known causes of the issue as I mentioned.

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 am

I guess I don't know what you meant by "browse." Don't really know what the mispelling was either.

I clicked that box in PopTray Options/Defaults with the three little dots in it and it opened Explorer. I typed in the box Windows Live Mail and the box at the right showed EXE files (*.exe), I clicked on "Open" and the Explorer box closed and that was it.

But in any event, I thank you very much for specifically telling me what the paths are because that was the problem. I didn't have the (x86) in the path. As soon as I inserted that it started launching my email account.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:46 am

The mispelling portion...

Computers are very specific and don't function properly with stuff that is "kind of right" ... a "/" ( forward slash like you typed ) is not the same as a "\" ( backslash ) ... you also didn't put the ":" after the C portion. It may seem picky mentioning it... but it does really matter. I did assume you meant those BTW which is why I didn't mention it until now... had you actually typed it in the way you mentioned on the forum, it would not have worked.

Browsing to the program using the three dots ( also referred to as "drilling down" sometimes ) should open the Explorer window and then you click on the "Computer", "My Computer", or "This PC" ( the various ways different versions of Windows refers to the system )... then click on the drive the program is located ( C drive in this case ) and each of the sub-folders until you reach the program file you are looking for... when you select the program filename it should return you to the option window.

I'm glad it's working now... in the future use the browse function and drill down to the program you are looking for... then this type of issue won't happen. This is a common function that many programs use to help locate files you may be working with... such as audio, pictures, music etc.

One last tip... on a 64b Windows... you have both a "Program Files" folder and a "Program Files (x86)" folder... 64b programs go in the first, and 32b programs such as Live Mail go in the second one.

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:23 am

Thank you very much for the additional info. I did notice that I had 2 Program Files folders, one with (x86) by it, and there is a Windows Live Mail in both of them.

I just tested the instructions you gave me for browsing and it worked like a charm.

I thank you, sincerely, for all your help!