believer - Another Error while checking

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Rdsok
PopTray Family

believer - Another Error while checking

Post by Rdsok » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Post originally written by believer in someone else's help/report thread.

Hi there. Please forgive me, that I post my bugreport in here instead of the SourceForge site. I just couldnt find a way, to post there without going through some sign-up-procedure. Same with this forum, but the procedure wasnt as bloated. Anyhow.

Problem: "Error Checking accountXY". This message appears everytime I try to check for new messages. Its not a problem with all accounts. I set poptrayu to check 4 accounts.

Account 1: 25 messages, no problems. (pop3 ssl)
Account 2: 100+ messages, no problems. (pop3 ssl)
Account 3: 150+ messages (pop3 ssl), checking stalls at about 75% with "Error Checking ..., Retrieve Error: Access violation at address 004a8b21 in module "PoptrayU.exe" Read of address 01E84000"

After I hit "ok", it goes on with Account 4.

Account 4: ~500 messages (imap4 ssl), checking stalls after about 20 or 30 messages. The error message is the same except for the read-address.

This happens to me _everytime_ I try to check for new mails. I noticed, that poptrayu continued to check account 3, after account 4 failed and I manually tried to "resume" on account 3. It didn't complete though, but managed to download another 10 or 20 messages. After that it failed and retries werent successful.

I am using win7, 64bit. If you need more information, let me know.

http://sourceforge.net/p/poptrayu/tickets/2/ might be related.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work. :)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 pm

@believer...

Your original post in someone else's help/report thread was deleted.... you should always start your own thread when posting a new issue in help/tech support type of forums.... otherwise it is seen as an attempt to hijack someone else's help/report thread.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:51 pm

In the original Poptray ( from which PopTrayU is developed ) this type of error is almost always caused by a spam email which is purposely improperly formated in order to confuse spam filters...

Visiting the webmail site for that/those accounts and deleting the spam you find will often resolve the issue.

This would help resolve your immediate issue ( if this is the cause ) but it also means that the exact cause of the error ( the spam email causing it ) can't be shared with the author of PoptrayU to help diagnose a work-around.

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:14 pm

I'll try to look up that crash address in the code to see what might be causing it to crash, but I need to know what version of poptrayu you are using to do so. Thanks!
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU

believer
First Timer

Post by believer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Oh, sorry. My bad. I thought ill just use that thread because the issue seemed very similar. I didnt look at it as an entirely different issue.

Anyways, the version im using is 4.0.6 which was the latest when I last checked.

As for the "spam"..well..eventhough one account got around 500 messages, I dont consider them spam. All of them are legitimate (eventhough not that important..).

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:42 am

Believer, I am going to send you a link to download a current private debug build that has madExcept compiled in. This should create an exception report with much higher level of detail including a full stack trace that may (hopefully) give me enough information to at least prevent the application from crashing on whatever malformed message it's barfing on.

That crash address maps to the indy components IdGlobal.PosIdx function. Unfortunately, that means it's not specifically in the PopTrayU code it's crashing, but in one of the libraries PopTrayU relies on. Likely it may be a malformed email header that it's barfing on, whether or not it's an actual spam message. But if you can send me a more detailed stack trace, or a specific email message that causes the error, I can see whether there's a possibility of at least making PopTrayU recover from the error rather than crashing.
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 am

believer wrote:Oh, sorry. My bad. I thought ill just use that thread because the issue seemed very similar. I didnt look at it as an entirely different issue.
It's the difference between a discussion type of forum and a support type... a discussion type you'll post in a thread when your post is "on topic"... on support forums even the same type of error can be caused by completely different things... so it is best to keep them separated...

Now if you have a suggestion to make to someone in a thread... even if it is based on an error you got... you are always welcome to provide the suggestion as it may help them.

Of course... there are always exceptions to these "rules" if you call them that ... at times a thread is just a discussion thread and not a report of an issue etc...