Decoding issue

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

Bateman
PopTray Family

Decoding issue

Post by Bateman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:12 am

I ran into some encoding issues previewing a newsletter.

What it looks like:

What it's supposed to look:

The mailheader says it's "charset=UTF-8" and if I remember correctly I didn't run into any similar problems with UTF-8 encoded mails before.

So I'm not perfectly sure where to search for the problem in the first place so someone here might have an idea.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 pm

The only thing I an think of to suggest that you check... Options->Defaults to see that the proper language is actually selected. I doubt that is it... but at least it is a place to start.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Unfortunately, the language settings isn't the problem.

I do run a German as well as an English version of PoptrayU on different machines and the issue is the same on both. Rechecking with my mailclient running UTF-8 displays the mail correctly.

Since it seems something inside the code and not fixable via the options / settings, maybe jojobear has an idea ^^

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:14 pm

I actually thought of one other possible solution... if the language file itself has gotten corrupted it could cause a similar issue... The only issue being you said it is happening with both English and German translations, which as you state makes it appear to be a possible program issue...

You can probably take a language file from an earlier version that didn't show the issue and replace the current one with it to see if it is or isn't a possible cause. If you try it, make certain to close PoptrayU before replacing the file... On Win7 and Win8 systems, you'll need to do the replacement while running Explorer ( or the command prompt ) as the Administrator.

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:52 pm

I tried to replace the language files with some old backups I had as well as clean ones from older versions taken from the Sourceforge site.

Unfortunately, no change. I'll try to check back with some devs at my firm to see if they have a clue what might be the culprit.
Else I just have to live with some borked characters. Anyways, things could be worse^^

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:17 am

I wish I could come up with other suggestions... I can't even verify the issue here as I rarely get UTF-8 encoded emails since I'm in the US and few are using it...

I'm running 4.08 at home and 5.0 Beta8 at work currently

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:02 am

Bateman, would you be able to email me a copy of such a newsletter, including the raw headers (of course, feel free to replace any sensitive parts of the headers or body such as email addresses with dummy data like xxxxxxxxxx)? You may have found a genuine bug which possibly could be fixed if I can reproduce it on my machine. I've tested UTF-8 emails (including with german text) in the HTML preview, and my test emails have worked correctly, but that's not to say there isn't a bug under a certain combination of influences.

Even though the message is UTF-8, the app converts everything to UTF-16 aka "Unicode" in internet explorer encoding menu, so it's possible there's something about that email that causes an incorrect conversion. Either that or it's trying to display the email as Windows 1252 instead of Unicode. It looks like every character that's messed up in your sample email is ones outside the default Windows codepage.

BTW...what version of IE and Windows are you testing on? Certain really old versions may have unicode/international character "issues".
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:18 am

Bateman, I forgot to mention, please let me know as well if you are using a regional setting other than US english on your copy of windows (such as German). I have seen bugs before that only popped up with Italian regional settings for example.
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU