HTML preview without loading images

Moderators: jojobear99, Rdsok

TheVoodoo
Enthusiast

HTML preview without loading images

Post by TheVoodoo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:42 am

I'm using poptray_u since b2 came out. It has some great modifications and additions to the basic one. I would like to see the possibility to preview mails in html but without loading the images.

m
First Timer

Re: HTML preview without loading images

Post by m » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:36 am

TheVoodoo wrote:I would like to see the possibility to preview mails in html but without loading the images.

Quote very very much!!

Otherwise the spammers have it easy!

However... great PopTray!!!!!!!!

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:04 am

TheVoodoo, thank you for your suggestion. This is definitely something I would like to implement in future versions (as well as optionally almost the reverse, displaying attachment images inline if images are enabled). It's not a trivial fix to implement (hence why it isn't in there already), but it's definitely on the todo list.

-Jessica AKA jojobear99

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:23 pm

After looking into this a bit further, there's a nasty bug with no known workaround in the IE-plugin when you tell it that you want to work "offline" that prevents this from being fixed correctly, it ignores whether you're offline and just checks wehther you have an internet connection before downloading external content. I could implement a kludgy way of parsing out things that might be image links which I've been working on in the last beta, but I'm not sure if that's going to be effective enough of not, because there's a lot of subtle ways images and external content can be loaded (css, scripts, inline javascript, background images, image tags, etc. etc), so it might be doable, but it's pretty complicated.

There is a simple workaround though, set any internet explorer window to offline mode (affects all windows) before previewing emails. If IE is set to offline, it will not download any of the images, etc. when previewing in poptrayU. Downside, you can't surf the net in IE at the same time as you do this, and it would disrupt any ongoing downloads, etc, unless you are using a different browser for the other downloads, but it works quite well if you can live with IE in offline mode.
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:34 pm

An update: Proper blocking of images is coming soon. Please feel free to have a look at this blog post where I am soliciting feedback about in addition to images should be always or sometimes blocked: https://sourceforge.net/p/poptrayu/blog ... -blocking/
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:49 am

Excellent news JoJoBear... I know a lot of folk are looking for this security feature

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 am

As an update, html preview with full image blocking is currently available in the latest version(s) and no longer "coming soon"
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU