set outlook mail notification for Exchange mail server

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Luitner
First Timer

set outlook mail notification for Exchange mail server

Post by Luitner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:36 am

Hello Forum Members,

I would like help with setting up the program. Pop Tray version 3.2
I would use the Outlook client with the Exchange server. (Outlook 2013, Exchange 2012 server, Windows 7 proff. desktop)
I have set the server name, username and password. After testing, indicates a connection failure. "Socket error 10060. Connection timed out".

I tried using gmail as well with pop 3 protocol on 995 port. "Connection Closed Gracefully".

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Luitner

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: set outlook mail notification for Exchange mail server

Post by Rdsok » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm going to cover a lot of things in order that you can setup properly and understand things a little more... but first let's get you to the program you should be using instead of just using Poptray v3.2 which is no longer being supported and isn't made to work on Windows newer than Windows XP.

So first uninstall Poptray. Next get PoptrayU instead. It's available from http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/ . I will cover setting up a Gmail account using POP3 SSL access as an example that you can then also use for setting up other POP3 type of accounts. PoptrayU can also be setup to work with some IMAP accounts but it isn't recommended since that standard is not well defined and providers have often changed how their IMAP server are setup which ends up making email clients ( and PoptrayU ) suddenly quit working often without warning. So I strongly recommend only using POP3 or POP3 SSL access unless you want unknown problems to show up.

PoptrayU can work with any version of Windows and has been updated by Jessica Brown ( jojobear on this forum ) since Renier Crause quit working on Poptray itself. It looks and works the same and it started from the same code... it's just fixed several things and has been updated to work with newer versions of Windows.

What email client you choice to use... ( Outlook, Thunderbird, webmail or whatever ) does not matter. PoptrayU ( and Poptray ) are separate from those. You will often use the same ( or similar ) settings if setting up for a standard POP3 or POP3 SSL account. PoptrayU can open the email client for you if you wish it to and have it setup for it, but it doesn't interact directly with them other than that. Remember that PoptrayU is just an email notifier that can also read emails... it is not a full email client so it can not send emails out also. It will notify you when you get emails ( if it's running ) and it will show you a list of those emails that are on the email server ( which you can also choose to read if you wish ).

I'll stop at this point and create another post starting from the installation and setup.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: set outlook mail notification for Exchange mail server

Post by Rdsok » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 pm

The first step will be to setup your Gmail for POP3 access.

Open your internet browser of choice ( Internet Explorer, MS Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc ) and log into your Gmail Account....

1. In the top right of the webpage, click the settings gear icon, click it
2. Click Settings.
3. Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
4. In the "POP Download" section, select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
5. At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.

Now download PoptrayU ( if you haven't already ) and run the setup program. When it asks you where you want the user data... select the recommended setting of "Current User Appdata Folder" ( this allows each user on your computer to have their own private settings ). Then complete the setup but on the last page of the setup process... unselect ( remove the checkmark in the box ) the "Open PoptrayU" option and select the "Download SSL Plugin" option. This should open a window in your internet browser and you can click the download button to get and save the SSL plugin. Once it's finished downloading, run the "OpenSSL_1.0.2d_forPopTrayU_Setup.exe file that you just got and let it install. When finished, select the option to open PoptrayU if it's not already selected by default.

Now after PoptrayU is opened, click on the Accounts tab on the right side, then click the "+ Add Account" button at the top... Fill out the following information using your username where my example pic shows "Username@gmail.com"

Just fill out the information as shown in the example pic. When finished... completely close PoptrayU and re-open it. It should work now as long as you have the settings exactly as I have them shown ( using your email account name/info )

Setting up for an Exchange account is the same with some exceptions... First the Exchange server must be setup for POP3 access ( ask your ISP for the exact settings needed )... just setup about the same as you did for Gmail using the info provided by your ISP for that server.

That's it.