Sorry to bother you KY Dave but I have an anti-spam question

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

ratchet
Enthusiast

Sorry to bother you KY Dave but I have an anti-spam question

Post by ratchet » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks to my PopTray black list and using mostly web mails nowadays, I haven't been driven to installing an anti-spam program quite yet. However, having said that, I'm still always in the hunt, although I realize from your endorsement that K9 would be all that I would need. Anyway, to the point:
could this be integrated into PopTray? Thank You!

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Sorry to bother you KY Dave but I have an anti-spam question

Post by KY Dave » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:45 am

ratchet wrote:Anyway, to the point:
could this be integrated into PopTray?
Welcome to Spamato!

This is an automatically generated message. Your email address will be removed from our database.

You do not have to answer this message; it should automatically be detected by Spamato. Please follow the installation instruction on our web page

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can find our online forums on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/spamato. You may also contact us by sending a reply to this message.

You can delete this message now.

The Spamato Team
It would seem as you can use Spamato with PopTray,
although after the initial download of email, I did get errors reported by PopTray.

You will need to download the file spamatoxy.jar to use with PopTray on Windows.

IMO, Spamato is complicated to setup and I'm not sure if it will continue to work with PopTray.

The main reason that I don't care for this type of program is...
you are relying on someone else's judgement of what is spam and what is good.
After months of marking messages as good or spam, K9 knows exactly what I consider as spam and what is not. With Spamato, you will never have that personalized rating because it is dependant on a community marking the spam.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

ratchet
Enthusiast

Post by ratchet » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 am

Appreciate your input, K9 is probably the way I'll go. Thanks again!

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:29 am

Another disadvantage to SPAMATO is every piece of your email is filtered on their servers. That means you are exposing your personal emails to their eyes, sort of like GMAIL.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:37 pm

Another alternative to K9, that also works on you training the program, is SpamBayes. I've been using it successfully with PopTray for years now.

darkb
Still here

Post by darkb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Renier wrote:Another alternative to K9, that also works on you training the program, is SpamBayes. I've been using it successfully with PopTray for years now.
I don't get PopTray to work with spambayes. I always get a timeout error in poptray.

Animated star in systray freezes when poptray checks a spambayes configured pop3 account.

Renier, could you tell me what setup have in your poptray to get spambayes works, please? Do you retrieve email body? First n-lines? etc.

scarney
Still here

Post by scarney » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 am

spamato and spamatoxy are 2 different animals. spamato i believe is a plugin type program. spamatoxy is a proxy, like K9. i have no idea if spamato "filters on their servers" i doubt it. but i do know spamatoxy does not. you can however send filter info/results to there stats system, IF you desire. you can disable this. i love K9 and have been using it for several months with fantastic results. but since it is lacking development (its dead) and it does not support SSL (my ISP only allows secure connections now) i have went with spamatoxy. so far i like it. but yea. i cannot get poptray to connect to it. it just times out. any ideas on how to get it to work?. with spamatoxy, each address you want to check has to have its own port e.g remote host your.isp.net:995 - local port:10995, our.isp.net:995 - local port:10996 etc. i am wondering if poptray has problems with the longer port number?

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:58 pm

darkb wrote:Renier, could you tell me what setup have in your poptray to get spambayes works, please? Do you retrieve email body? First n-lines? etc.
Nothing funny really. It just works. I have retrieve body on when smaller than 120kb. It's been running for years, so I can't remember if I did anything different when I installed it.

SpamBayes is also pretty accurate. Here are my stats:

Code: Select all

SpamBayes has processed 56326 messages - 10950 (19%) good, 42302 (75%) spam and 3074 (5%) unsure.

4052 messages were manually classified as good (8 were false positives).

21173 messages were manually classified as spam (51 were false negatives).

139 unsure messages were manually identified as good, and 1029 as spam.
8 false positives in 56000 messages. And most of those were probably early in the training.

darkb
Still here

Post by darkb » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:28 pm

I fixed the problem I had with poptry and spambayes.

The problem was that I have installed Nod32 and it filter all POP traffic so I had to adjust compatibility in Nod32 options and that was all. Now I can run poptray and spambayes (Outlook service and pop3proxy also).