Can too many RULES affect PopTray behavior?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

popuser6
Still here

Can too many RULES affect PopTray behavior?

Post by popuser6 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Is there a limit on the number of rules that PopTray can handle without causing problems with the program? The reason I ask is because I'm sure I have created hundreds of rules over the years & PopTray has been acting differently as of a few months ago. These are the current issues:

1. Let's say that PT lists one message. I delete that message & more messages then immediately show up. The INTERVAL for checking messages is set to 5 min. Does this behavior make sense in that it happens frequently?
It used to be that "what you saw is what you got". In other words, if there were 2 messages & I deleted one message, no more messages showed up.

2. Similar issue to the above in that when PT lists x number of messages & I then click the RUN E-MAIL CLIENT button, x + n number of messages often show up in my e-mail client (ThunderBird). Again, this never used to happen.

I am running a Pentium 4, 3.2 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia 7950 GT. Thanks for any insight.
[/u]

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:31 pm

I would suggest that you are simply receiving more email than you used to get.

PopTray checks for email. Then if you decide to DELETE an email, PopTray sends the delete commands and rechecks for email. It would seem that your email server had received more email between the first check and the check done after the deletion.

This happens to me, and I only have a few RULEs. So, I doubt that the number of RULEs is affecting the performance enough that you would notice.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

popuser6
Still here

Post by popuser6 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:21 pm

KY Dave wrote:I would suggest that you are simply receiving more email than you used to get.

PopTray checks for email. Then if you decide to DELETE an email, PopTray sends the delete commands and rechecks for email. It would seem that your email server had received more email between the first check and the check done after the deletion.

This happens to me, and I only have a few RULEs. So, I doubt that the number of RULEs is affecting the performance enough that you would notice.
I hear you, however, the behavior goes against this explanation! For example, my computer sits all day without me; I then go to my computer & PT lists 1 message. I go to delete it & 4 more messages are downloaded. This behavior occurs to often for it to be explained by the above. Any additional thoughts?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:46 am

If your PC was waiting on PopTray to test against the RULEs it would take longer after the deletion for PopTray to SHOW the new messages too.

You might shorten the amount of time between checks. Some of my accounts' intervals are set at 1 hour, some 20 minutes and the shortest about 10 minutes.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

popuser6
Still here

Post by popuser6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:06 am

KY Dave wrote:If your PC was waiting on PopTray to test against the RULEs it would take longer after the deletion for PopTray to SHOW the new messages too.

You might shorten the amount of time between checks. Some of my accounts' intervals are set at 1 hour, some 20 minutes and the shortest about 10 minutes.
I forgot to say that when I am "away" from the PC, the PC is left running.

Also, my interval for checking is 5 min.

All this is why I cannot understand what is going on.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 am

Don't guess... test. I've seen more people just waste time trying to figure it out when just a few simple tests would show if there is an issue with a program.

If you think something may be wrong... try testing for it... follow the instructions in this post viewtopic.php?t=2942 to backup the settings... then delete the rules.ini file or perhaps even reinstall Poptray and test without the rules etc.

Firewalls settings, proxy settings, antivirus and spam filtering software can also affect it ( ie the email connection ) ... so don't overlook these as items that can affect it also.

popuser6
Still here

Post by popuser6 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:13 pm

Rdsok wrote:Don't guess... test. I've seen more people just waste time trying to figure it out when just a few simple tests would show if there is an issue with a program.

If you think something may be wrong... try testing for it... follow the instructions in this post viewtopic.php?t=2942 to backup the settings... then delete the rules.ini file or perhaps even reinstall Poptray and test without the rules etc.

Firewalls settings, proxy settings, antivirus and spam filtering software can also affect it ( ie the email connection ) ... so don't overlook these as items that can affect it also.
OK... I've made a backup of RULES.INI & deleted it in the PTray folder. Low & behold, I've not seen my problem occur once since !!! I'll give it a few more days since spam e-mail decreases on the weekend. Will report back soon. Thanks for your suggestion.

popuser6
Still here

Post by popuser6 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:53 am

OK... I have seen the problem since I deleted the RULES.INI.

That puts an end to this discussion.