Rules with 'contains'

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Ferdinandf

Rules with 'contains'

Post by Ferdinandf » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm using Pop Tray 3.2 for some time now, but started just recently to use the rules section. To delete spam (marked with 'Spam!' in the subject line by my provider) I used 'subject' in area, 'contains' in the compare part and 'Spam!' as text, but this didn't work. I found the advise of KY Dave to use 'wildcard' with text '*Spam!'*. This works fine, but I don't understand the functioning of 'contains' in the compare part. Shouldn't it do the same? Can anyone explain?

vitoco
Veteran

Post by vitoco » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:34 pm

:o

"contains" should work as you expect. If it doesn't, might this be an issue with that exclamation mark? :?

BTW, be more specific in your rule, because your current one (using WildCard) will also delete a message from your provider with the subject "A warning notice about Spam!". If your provider inserts "Spam!" only at the beginning of the subject, just remove the first "*" from your rule.

If other characters are also inserted in the subject line, consider to use RegExpr.

Some providers also inserts another special headers in your message to tell you when spam or a virus was found. You can also check for that using a RegExpr in the whole Header area.

++Vitoco

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Rules with 'contains'

Post by KY Dave » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Ferdinandf wrote:I'm using Pop Tray 3.2 for some time now, but started just recently to use the rules section. To delete spam (marked with 'Spam!' in the subject line by my provider) I used 'subject' in area, 'contains' in the compare part and 'Spam!' as text, but this didn't work. I found the advise of KY Dave to use 'wildcard' with text '*Spam!'*. This works fine, but I don't understand the functioning of 'contains' in the compare part. Shouldn't it do the same? Can anyone explain?
I believe the inclusion of the exclamation point is the problem. As I think the exclamation point "!" is a wildcard, you would have to use the COMPARE setting of WILDCARD. If you remove the exclamation point, then you should be able to use CONTAINS.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Ferdinandf

Post by Ferdinandf » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Thank you for your reactions, you were both right, it is the exclamation mark. I didn't think of the exclamation mark as a wildcard, but now I understand these type of characters has to be seen as such. Thanks also for your advise Vitoco.