A tricky question about Junk Mail and Pop Tray

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

adam20540
Still here

A tricky question about Junk Mail and Pop Tray

Post by adam20540 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:31 am

My Outlook Express has a Junk E-mail folder. When receiving junk emails, the Pop Tray notification Balloon is activated. On clicking the Pop Tray icon (to open my inbox and read the email), I see that the email has been directed to my Junk E-mail folder (all email that ends up in my Junk E-mail folder is, indeed, junk email .. so no problem there).

I have examined these spam/junk e-mails, but can't identify a particular pattern or subject line, or a particular word in the body of the email ... anything that would enable me to set a ''Rule'', in Pop Tray, to have them automatically deleted from the server.

Two questions:

1- Is it Pop Tray or my own ''F-Secure'' anti-virus program, that
recognizes these Junk emails, and directs them to my Junk E-mail
folder :?:

2- Is there a way I can have them deleted from the server before
reaching my Junk E-mail folder :?: If this can't be done, is there a way
I can get Pop Tray NOT to show me notification for email destined
to my Junk E-mail folder :?:

Very interested to hear your reply on this one, Dave :)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:21 am

Poptray does not integrate with your email client... it can be used to open it... but not integrate it.

An antivirus program doesn't filter spam... it detects malware which may be in an email or a file. That doesn't mean that your F-Secure doesn't include a spam filter but that would depend on which product you installed... read its documentation or their tech support for that information, don't ask a 3rd party if you want the most accurate info.

You can create rules that can automatically delete emails based on the criteria you define. You can also select to delete them manually. Poptray comes with a help file that you should read to familiarize yourself with its functions. Read the help file... and search the forum for your questions.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Do you use a RULE in Outlook Express (OE) to place the emails in the JUNK Folder? If so, then you can use the same type/worded RULE in PopTray to delete the emails.

If on the other hand, F-Secure or whatever program is sorting the emails is placing them directly in OE's JUNK Folder, then it would be much harder.

Look through the HEADERs of some of the JUNK email and see if there is a phrase or word that is IDing them to OE. PopTray can test the HEADER for that same word if there is one.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

adam20540
Still here

Post by adam20540 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:39 pm

Appreciate the reply,Dave. No, I don't use a RULE in OE .. so it must be through F-Secure .. as you say, ''it would be much harder''.

I tried to find something in the Subject line, or body, or the 'from to' and all the 'usual suspects' etc.. that would identify them as junk mail, to no avail. I'll try to dig deeper in F-secure and, as you say, use the same ''type/worded RULE in Pop Tray to delete the emails''.

Thanks again for your help.
Adam