SSL connection error when checking Yahoo and Gmail accounts

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

callonme
First Timer

SSL connection error when checking Yahoo and Gmail accounts

Post by callonme » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Hello !

I have just installed PopTray because it looked very promising compared to the other email notifiers I found on the Internet but I have some problems with setting up my accounts. When I test the accounts, I get an error "Error connecting with SSL." although I did install the SSL plug-in.

I thought maybe the connection could not be established because of the corporate firewall I am working with, but I tried with another notifier (Pop Peeper) and there is no connection problem with it.

Do you have an idea of what is going on and how we could solve this?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:20 am

QUIT PopTray.

Install the SSL Plugin.

RESTART PopTray.

In PopTray, OPTIONS, PLUGINS, check the box to enable the SSL Plugin. SAVE the OPTIONS.

In PopTray, ACCOUNTS, your GMAIL account, PROTOCOL, select the SSL PLUGIN. SAVE ACCOUNTS.

QUIT PopTray and RESTART PopTray after installing and enabling the SSL Plugin.

Make sure PopTray has access to the internet through port 995.

LOGIN to your GMAIL ACCOUNT and enable POP3 access. LOG OUT.

Use PopTray to check your GMAIL account.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

callonme
First Timer

Post by callonme » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 am

Well, that is what I had done already. To make sure I made everything right, I uninstalled the SSL-plugin and re-installed it but nothing changed. The result was exactly the same.

So to sum-up, the SSL-plugin is installed, it is enabled in the options (Plugins section), and accounts are set using the "POP3 SSL" protocol with port 995.

I am still a bit surprised to have this error message. If my corporate firewall lets Pop Peeper access to the Internet (I guess through port 995 though I cannot see which port is used), it would be strange to be blocked on this same port with PopTray...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:38 pm

If the firewall is a rules based firewall... it could already have a permission set for Pop Peeper and not Poptray... contact your IT department for more info on this.

Other things to consider... proxies, spam filter software and antvirus software can also affect your email connections and may need to be taken into acount.

I know I can use Poptray with Gmail with no issues so if setup properly the configuration does work... which leaves the other variables to be considered.