Poptray not working anymore

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

charlesdb
Evolving

Poptray not working anymore

Post by charlesdb » Thu May 15, 2008 9:51 am

I have been using K9 and PopTray happily for sometime now. However, I am now getting the problem that PopTray does not delete messages as instructed. I have checked, double checked and triple checked my instructions against KYDave's and cannot find any typing errors. If I add my own simple rule 3 to delete all Emails marked [Spam] without the percentages, it works; but it doesn't work for the more refined KY Dave rules deleting the percentage marked spam. They just appear on Poptray with the percentage spam header shown. I cannot for the life of me understand what has gone wrong here. I run PcCillin 2008 security suite. XP professional on a Dell Vostro computer. I have probably asked an unsolvable conundrum, but any ideas would be gladly accepted. And before you ask, yes I have marked the rule delete from server. Very, very strange.
Charles

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Backup all your INI files in the Poptray or your userfolder location whichever you have it setup for. Then delete/rename or move your RULES.INI file and recreate the rules that you are having trouble with... test to see if that corrects the issue or not.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Almost forgot to mention the whitelist... if you have any whitelist item that would protect a spam... then the whitelist takes precedence over the rules

charlesdb
Evolving

Post by charlesdb » Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for that information. K9 has now decided not to filter messages, so something has obviously gone wrong. I've decided to temporarily drop K9 and put in a regular expression which I picked up on this forum, to use PopTray to filter out spam, ie mark as spam anything that is not on my whitelist. Any mistakes can be whitelisted, so I can build on the whitelist file. As I only get half a dozen spam Emails a day it seems a sensible route to take. So far in the last two days it works fine.
Charles