A few questions

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

leonardo
First Timer

A few questions

Post by leonardo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi
I've got a few questions about PopTray.
1. I am trying to check one email account. There are over 900 messages. After PopTray download about 400, I receive such error: "Access violation at address 004B22C1 in module PopTray.exe. Read of address 00000000". What is it? What shall I do to download all mesages without this error?

2. Always, when PopTray checks the mail, I get the mesage: "Receiving 900 mesages". Does PopTray have to receive all mesages at every time? Can it receive only theese mesages that are not read?

3. I can't get to my gmail account.
Pop3: pop.gmail.com
Protocol: POP3 (there are no other on the list)
Port: 110
Login: account name without "gmail.com"
I always get the message: "Connection closed gracefully". What shall I change in my settings to be able to log in?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm

POP3 email doesn't have a "read" or "unread" attribute so Poptray will always retrieve all emails that are in the INBOX of your email server. POP3 email wasn't ever designed to be a permenant storage area... normally emails are removed ( deleted ) once the user has downloaded them to their email client they use. If you still want to use the email server to store your emails like that consider moving them to another email folder if your ISP provides that type of service ( ie webmail etc ).

You error you get after about 900 emails is from a corrupted or nonstandard email format. Most of the time it will be from a spam email since spammers use this type of method to attempt to get around spam filters.

Gmail uses SSL POP3 settings and not the default POP3 settings... go to their help pages for info on setting up POP3 access and use the settings they tell you for the port numbers. You will also need to add the SSL plugin which is available on the main website.