W2k with restricted account - cannot write .ids files

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Xmas
First Timer

W2k with restricted account - cannot write .ids files

Post by Xmas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 pm

I am running a w2k (I know, it's rather old, but I like it) and working with an account that has NO administrator privileges. By default this account has no write access to program files folder, therefore poptray, that is running with permissions of this account, cannot write account_x.ids files. It is a problem because each time I start the program it must always reload all the messages. Is there any way to store these files (like .ini file) in %USERPROFILE% folder?

Thanks a lot.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:34 am

I should point out that this is not a bug since you posted in that forum area... If the problem doesn't have the permissions it needs because you have it set that way... its working as expected.

I can't remember if Win 2000 allows this but I think so... set the properties in Poptray to run as administrator ... or set Poptray to not remember viewed messages... your choice

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:15 am

Moved topic from the Bug forum area to the proper area in the General question forum

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: W2k with restricted account - cannot write .ids files

Post by KY Dave » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Xmas wrote:I am running a w2k (I know, it's rather old, but I like it) and working with an account that has NO administrator privileges. By default this account has no write access to program files folder, therefore poptray, that is running with permissions of this account, cannot write account_x.ids files. It is a problem because each time I start the program it must always reload all the messages. Is there any way to store these files (like .ini file) in %USERPROFILE% folder?

Thanks a lot.
It sounds like you're leaving ALL your email on the server. If so, it doesn't matter where you have PopTray installed and running, it will ALWAYS download EVERY message left on the server regardless of if they have been read or not read.

PopTray's remember read message feature is just a convience to show you which messages you have already looked at.

If this is not your problem, you could move PopTray to it's own directory inside your USER ACCOUNT for it to function as it should.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Xmas
First Timer

Post by Xmas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 am

Yes, I realized... and understood, too. :)

Thanks for your help!