UTF-8 Subject Line

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

eanon
Still here

UTF-8 Subject Line

Post by eanon » Mon May 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm using PopTray (of course) and would like to be able to see the UTF-8 subject line correctly (the ones startings with "=?UTF-8?").

So, does the UTF-8 support will be implemented in the future ? Or is there a plugin somewhere which solve this problem ?

I think this point become more and more crucial, since UTF-8 comes in more and more piece of software everyday...

Soon

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon May 10, 2010 9:14 pm

A forum search would reveal all that has already been said about this subject

eanon
Still here

Post by eanon » Mon May 10, 2010 11:31 pm

I've seen three threads (with "UTF" keyword), but not any solution. Do you know one ?

eanon
Still here

Post by eanon » Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 am

OK, searching deeper, I've seen a lot of threads about unicode... So, Poptray doesn't support Unicode (including UTF-8).

On my side, I'm a developer, but, unfortunately, not a Delphi one, so can't do anything for PopTray... Nevertheless, I don't really understand why it would be complicated to decode, at least, UTF-8 (I don't say all Unicode formats, but just UTF-8 which is the most used in the occidental part of the world) in subject line. I've already implemented stuff with UTF-8 support in piece of software written in Perl and VB6 and don't understand the blocking point here.

Could you tell me ?

--
EDIT : maybe an URL which may help (it talks about Delphi and Unicode) : http://fundementals.sourceforge.net/unicode.html ; found typing "delphi utf-8" in Google.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue May 11, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm a computer tech, not a programmer so you should know more about that subject than I

eanon
Still here

Post by eanon » Tue May 11, 2010 10:21 pm

So, we have to wait for the Renier's reply...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed May 12, 2010 1:17 am

... or read the reply's he's already made on the subject...

eanon
Still here

Post by eanon » Wed May 12, 2010 2:26 pm

If you have a link which contains a specific reply you have in mind, it would be more efficient to tell me... Isn't it ? Since, there are a lot of threads about Unicode (but, I've not seen any real reply)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed May 12, 2010 8:35 pm

I recall Renier posting about the subject several times... but its no more efficient for me to do the search than it is you.. after all its info you want

eanon
Still here

Post by eanon » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

I didn't said I didn't want to search, I said I searched and didn't found any real reply (the only two things I've seen are a reply where someone said he developped something but kept-it for himself - very smart - and the second one was about the fact Renier doesn't have time to go further with PopTray).

eanon
Still here

Post by eanon » Thu May 13, 2010 8:41 pm

OK, I've installed http://www.ch-software.de/popman/ (which is fully Unicode compliant) beside, on another station, awaiting PopTray supports UTF-8.

However, if a Delphi developer wants to see the link I've provided in a previous message, I think it contains all required to support, at least, UTF-8 in subject line.

Soon

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 pm

eanon, if you have not been reading the forum lately, please search for my recent posts. I am developing a fork of PopTray called PopTrayU which fixes the UTF-8 bugs, and I would welcome you to beta-test the app and/or provide feedback on future design decisions. Unlike the previous reports of fixing said bugs, I'm actually releasing my changes back into the open source community.