Socket Error

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Socket Error

Post by Nikilet » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:00 pm

For a short time now, every time I come to my computer first thing in the morning and go to check my mail with PopTray I get a socket error and then have to close it down and reopen it.

That seems to do the trick but is just aggravating. Anyone know why it suddenly started doing this? I've had and used it for quite awhile.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:00 am

The possible answer would depend on WHICH socket error you were getting and you didn't provide that info.

Nikilet
Enthusiast

Post by Nikilet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 am

The error code is 11004

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:36 am

The most common cause of this error is incorrect a POP server name or setting in your settings for Poptray... So before anything else, verify that the POP server name you entered into Poptray is correct... All other causes have nothing directly with Poptray but your system and/or network connection themselves.

Another common cause is that you need to add Poptray to your firewall's permissions. Also antivirus programs that also check emails for infections have been known to cause this error.

Other causes include system corruptions which usually can be addressed with CHKDSK or using the System File Checker ( SFC.EXE ) which you can search the internet for instructions on how to use those... Infections ( virus or other ) can also affect internet connections in various ways.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:38 am

PS... all of the above and many other suggestions can be found by searching the forum for "11004"