PoptrayU

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

darkb
Still here

PoptrayU

Post by darkb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know PoptrayU project?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/poptrayu/

Could I trust in it or is a fake?

Thanks.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: PoptrayU

Post by Rdsok » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:04 am

darkb wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know PoptrayU project?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/poptrayu/

Could I trust in it or is a fake?

Thanks.
This project is a fork of Poptray... since it was only released recently ( first of this month to be exact ), nothing more is currently known about it as far as quality, whether it actually meets the GPL qualifications or anything else for that matter...

jojobear99 ( the author of PoptrayU ) had asked info concerning making another version and was recommended by Renier to fork their version. Like any new project/software, only time and testing will tell if it is a good one or not.

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:18 am

Hi, yes, what Rdsok said. That fork is mine. Renier suggested I fork when I asked to contribute via email/sourcforge, as he is not equipped with the tools to release a new version at the moment (anyone think we should start a fundraiser drive to buy Renier the Delphi tools he needs?).

I started the fork because I am a loyal long-time user of poptray (there just isn't a better email notifier!), and since no one else seemed to be both willing and able in the past several years to fix my "favorite" pet peeve about PopTray--UTF-8 encoded emails from flickr, shutterfly, etc. displaying like gibberish in the main window--I decided to learn enough Delphi to fix it myself. Plus it looks good on my resume ;-)

Fatso
Still here

" is not a valid integer value.

Post by Fatso » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:53 pm

I can't register on sourceforge.

I get on some Ebay mails an error "" is not a valid integer value.".

I will send you a pic and the mail if you send me your mail address. My mail address is "andreas at baum-online.de"

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:46 pm

@Fatso,

This thread is about darkb's inquiry concerning a new fork of Poptray called PoptrayU.... you posting here is off-topic and unrelated to either program.

You being unable to register on/with sourceforge is not only unrelated to either program as mentioned, it should have be directed at sourceforge or looking through their faq/help pages if they exists or even possibly by you searching the internet for the error with a search engine such as Google and then seeing if you can resolve the issue with your computer and it's browser. By posting your question here, you have only delayed getting a possible answer to your issue.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Just a note: I've been running PopTrayU on my personal PC for the last 2 months without any problems.

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:16 pm

What a nice surprise to see that development of the best email checker ever is going to be continued.
Poptray operates flawless since more than 11 years, i am still running XP.
Because Renier ceased further development a couple of years ago i only check in on the forum a couple of times a year.

I downloaded PTU but was not able to detect the diffences in regard to Poptray3.2.
The Poptray U section on the forum is still empty. Is it possible to write a short introduction that clarifies differences between PT3.2 en PTU?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:29 am

The PoptrayU Sourceforge pages already describe the basic changes that were made.

Of course if jojobear99 wishes to expand on that here... that is also perfectly fine which is part of why a forum location was created.

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 am

quosego, The main improvements in PopTrayU are that it decodes UTF-8 (and some other encoded) subjects correctly (eg: from facebook, flickr, emails with international characters, etc) instead of displaying gibberish, and an option to preview emails as HTML has been added. It also has options to save preferences in the recommended locations for windows vista/7 so that you see less security prompts or such errors.