No option to view HTML !?!?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

fryta1979
First Timer

No option to view HTML !?!?

Post by fryta1979 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

Hi All,

I've just started to use PopTray, great app !!!

But what bothers me, there is no option to preview HTML formatted messages! We are in 21TH century 90% mails are in this format, and in PopTray You can read only HTML source, NO FUN for me ]:)

Is there any way to fix it?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Poptray was primarily created to check for new emails, notify you and allow you to delete them directly from the server before you opened your actual email client that you use... It is not and has never been made to be an email reader.

There are also other reasons that HTML rendering wasn't added... primarily it brings an inherent security risk which can allow a malicious script to be run on your computer... This is why people always warn against even previewing unknown emails that you may receive since just viewing a malicious email can infect your computer.

Renier, the author of Poptray, was trying to work around this inherent risk and develop another method to render HTML without the risk of a script running but was unable to complete that task before his paying job took away his available spare time to work on Poptray.

Recently, another Poptray user and programmer named jojobear99 took the task upon themselves to develop a fork of Poptray called PoptrayU. PoptrayU addresses several shortcomings in Poptray such as decoding UTF8 subject lines as well as installation issues for Vista and Windows 7 users. They also have added a HTML Preview option into it but I'm uncertain if any of the security risks that HTML brings were addressed or not.

For this reason and just like what is recommended in your standard email client... do not preview or read any email that you are uncertain of who it is from. Just previewing a malicious HTML email can lead to your computer being compromised or infected.

fryta1979
First Timer

Post by fryta1979 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for a quick reply.
I think HTML is still needed as hell.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:51 pm

fryta1979 wrote:Thanks for a quick reply.
I think HTML is still needed as hell.

This wasn't a debate about what you or I thought, I simply provided you the information, but if you think that...
Then download PoptrayU ....