Pop Tray on Windows 8

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Computeruser
Still here

Pop Tray on Windows 8

Post by Computeruser » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 am

I have been using Pop Tray 3.2 for years with no problems. I currently have it running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with no problems. A year or so ago, my mail supplier (in use for over a decade now) enforced SSL logins. So I came here, found the 0.6 Beta plugin software, downloaded it, installed it, set it up and moved on. Still no problems.

I have a Windows 8 release preview (not consumer preview) Virtual Machine running in VMware Workstation V9.

Tonight, I copied over the 3 files to my Windows 8 machine (Pop Tray, Beta Plugins and Hotmail plugin) and installed 2 of them (Pop Tray and Beta Plugins). All installs and I can set up my main email account.

However when I try to run it, I get a "Cannot connect" error because it cannot load the SSL library.

My trusty Thinkpad is 5 years old and I must sometime (late this year or early next) get a new Thinkpad and it will come with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I may upgrade that to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit as Windows 8 is an atrocious and useless operating system on real computers, but that is another story.

Soon, me and likely others, will want to run Pop Tray with a POP-SSL account in Windows 8. So far I cannot.

Do you have any thoughts or workarounds.

Thank you.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:12 am

When you tried to just copy the plugins over instead of installing them, I suspect you missed copying the ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll files which are in the main Poptray folder itself.

While Poptray will work on Win7 with a few work-arounds... it isn't made for it. You may want to consider PoptrayU which is a fork of Poptray made by jojobear99 and can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/poptrayu/

PoptrayU works with Win7 and Win8 by placing the user files in the proper locations that the OS allows and also addresses the UTF-8 issues that Poptray has.

If a person already is running Win7 on a desktop computer or laptop without a touchscreen, I see little reason to upgrade to Win8 for just the added touch screen support. Yet if they were running WinXP or Vista, the added speed and stability that it brings may make it worth considering if they have a new enough computer to run it.

The loss of the desktop menu was a mistake in my opinion. It ignores the users that want or need multiple windows opened and actually works with multiple programs at a time... Thankfully, there are several utilities to add the Start Menu back and even boot directly to the desktop instead of the Start Screen. Look at a util called Classic Shell found at http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ before you completely write off Win8.

Computeruser
Still here

Post by Computeruser » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 pm

I actually installed both things from their installer files. That is, I did not copy over the plugin files. I installed the same way in Windows 7, which may explain why I did not have any issues.

I am looking at the PopTrayU website and will probably try that in Windows 8.

Thank you.

Computeruser
Still here

Post by Computeruser » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:35 pm

I got PopTray 3.2 working in Windows 8 64-bit and it seems to work just like in Windows 7.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the Plugin Beta 6. This time, I installed all the options (I did not do that the first time). Then I installed PopTray 3.2, enabled SSL, set up the account and it worked.

I tried PopTrayU but I could not get it to see the plugin options. PopTray sees them just fine.

So at this point, it is up and running.

You said "I see little reason to upgrade to Win8" . I agree. But Windows 8 will come, just as XP is now dead. I am looking at a variety of classic shells, and I read somewhere that Microsoft may also bring out a classic shell. Time will tell. In the meantime, Windows 7 works perfectly well.

Thank you for your help.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Just to be clear... I said there was little reason to upgrade to Win8 IF you were already running Win7... users with older versions of Windows will have definite advantages if they have the hardware to run it.

I am having no problem with PoptrayU seeing the plugins on my Win8. Perhaps there is more of a difference with the preview version vs the RTM which is what I have installed on two systems.

I have the plugins folder in the main PoptrayU program directory and my user files in the PoptrayU user file folder "%APPDATA%\PoptrayU\"

Currently both Poptray and PoptrayU are almost identical with only the following changes made to PoptrayU

Features
Improved International Character Support
Decodes UTF-8 Encoded Subjects
Enhancements for Windows Vista/7 Compatibility
HTML or Plain Text Email Preview

So beyond those differences, they should work almost identically.

Computeruser
Still here

Post by Computeruser » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:37 am

Some fineal thoughts on all this:

1. I purchased Windows 8 Pro 64-bit upgrade and put in on a spare hard drive. I am working out the bugs and in particular a business interface which is coming along nicely (NO start screen at all).

2. Pop Tray 3.1 works with Plugins Beta 0.6 in Windows 8 Pro.

2a. The only was I could do it (and I realize this happened before in the Preview Release) is to install Pop Tray, install the Plugins, gets an Index error, uninstall Pop Tray but not the Plugins, re-install Pop Tray and it all works.

3. Pop Tray U does not see plugins in the Options (two different machines, two different installs, two different releases).

So then, if I may, a feature request out of all this:

In Windows 7 and Vista, the Pop Tray border and menu is grey in colour and the gridlines around mail in the window are not white.

In Windows 8, most of the above is white and as a result much harder to read. This is in the classic view.

While I am still in process and do not have Windows 8 in production, still, Windows 8 is coming.

So the reques is that Pop Tray might become more Windows 8 (and Pro and 64-bit) compliant.

Cheers, .... C

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:03 am

Poptray at this time is not being developed further...

I'm uncertain what to suggest ( beyond what I mentioned earlier ) for the issue you mentioned with the plugins in PoptrayU since I have not see the issue, also on two installations of it on Win8 Pro 64b

Computeruser
Still here

Post by Computeruser » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:14 am

I was afraid of that. I used Mail Call V2 on NT4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It did not work on Vista Business 64-bit. I did some searching and after some false starts, I settled on PopTray for Vista and then for Windows 7.

It works on Windows 8 but is showing its age.

I do not now why PopTray U options should work for you and not for me. I will do some more experimenting.

But I now to to resume the search for a decent email notifier. I get scads of email I wish to action with out downloading to Outlook (Experts Exchane email predominantly.

Thank you for all your help.

.... C

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 am

Ok... just some things to try with PoptrayU... some of this you may know, so please understand that I'm just covering bases and I'm also adding a few extra ( probably unneeded ) steps to help ensure we covered a couple possible causes...

Installation in Win7 or Win8

I'm going to suggest dropping some of the built in security of Windows at least temporarily...

Open the Control Panel, go into the User Accounts applet and then select "Change User Access Control settings"... slide the setting to the bottom. On Win7 you will have to restart, Win8 doesn't require it since it isn't fully disabling the UAC.

Now right click on the PoptrayU installation file and select "Run as administrator". Select to install the user setting files into the user appdata area... complete the installation. If PoptrayU opens after installation... close it.

Repeat the same installation steps for the beta example plugins ( ie right click and select "Run as administrator"

Now open PoptrayU... go into the plugins settings area and enable the SSL plugin. Close PoptrayU... re-open it and setup one of your SSL accounts ( just one for now )... save the settings and again close PoptrayU. Re-open and do a test receive

Now return back to the User Accounts applet in the Windows Control Panel and reset the UAC settings back to the default setting or where you'd like it set to.

Hope that helps... and I hope you didn't find it too tedious opening/closing and reopening etc...