Location of the temp files created by PopTray ?

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

RayNet
First Timer

Location of the temp files created by PopTray ?

Post by RayNet » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:17 am

Hello !
When after selecting a mail, i click on "Preview" we see "donwloading" then "processing". Where goes the mail ? In what directory ? Could we clean this directory ? OR ... is the downloaded email removed when i quit the preview window ?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:34 pm

As long as you are not using a plugin such as Packrat which saves emails in its folder.... As far as I can quickly determine using Procmon ( from Microsoft )... Poptray isn't writing the download to a temp file... You may want to verify it yourself, I only worked on this for about 30 minutes since I don't find it of interest...

In general, programs will use either the user or system temp file locations and in some cases the Temporary Internet Files location if dealing with internet related files. These locations vary slightly depending on which Windows version you use. Using utils that can clean out temp file locations, such as Window's own "Disk Cleanup" or a third party util such as CCleaner... you don't have to worry about where they are located since they will remove the items you have selected without you needing to know the specifics of where they are exactly.

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 am

Rdsok is mostly correct here, preview messages are usually stored in RAM, not on the hard-disk, so just for pressing preview does not generate temp files.

The exception would be if you open attachments in the email, it has to persist them on the hard-disk temporarily. Attachments are saved whereever the Delphi method GetTempPath returns (probably the windows temp folder). PopTray saves a list of the filenames and will under normal circumstances automatically clean up these temporary files.

There is also a temp.eml created (in the poptray.ini folder) when you open an email in external client. But this file is erased and reused each time you open a message in the external client, so it shouldn't require manual cleanup either.

(this behavior has not changed between PopTray and PopTrayU and applies to both)
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU