Opening message if no mail client supporting .EML available

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

pol098
First Timer

Opening message if no mail client supporting .EML available

Post by pol098 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't have a program on my computer that supports the .EML file format. To view a message that's not in text format I have to save it with extension .MHT instead of .EML, then open it with a browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer). (EML is the same format as MHT, just a different name.)

To allow viewing from PopTray with the Open button without the need for me to save, then open, I have made a simple modification to PopTray.exe: with a binary editor search for two occurrences of "temp.eml" and change them both to "temp.mht" (be very sure to overwrite the existing characters, don't insert or delete - everything must stay in the same place; and be sure to keep a copy of the original program file). A bit cumbersome, have to Preview, then Open; and can't view attachments. But messages open in the program that handles .MHT files (Internet Explorer by default) and I can preview messages that aren't just text.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Most people actually read their email in a real email client and not Poptray which is an email notifier, not an email client. The preview was simply meant to be a method to determine if a particular email should be deleted or not before actually opening them in the main email client.

While Poptray is no longer being developed... PoptrayU is and you may consider making a suggestion to support alternate email message types to it's author.

The .eml file extention is a standard email file format developed by Microsoft. It can be read in Outlook Express, MS Outlook, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird and probably several others. While many people do read their email through a webmail internet website on the browser they use... these are not considered email clients and shouldn't be expected to read standard email file formats.

pol098
First Timer

Post by pol098 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Following my suggested patch:

[quote="Rdsok"]Most people actually read their email in a real email client ...[/quote]

That's all obvious and assumed. However, most people is not all people, and PopTray has the designed ability to open a message in a client; my patch simply allows the Open command to work on a system which doesn't have a mail application supporting .EML. It might work from a memory stick on a public computer (with Internet Explorer) while travelling, though I haven't yet tried this. I use PopTray from anywhere to see what mail has arrived, read the brief text mail and anything urgent, and delete lots of unwanted stuff undownloaded. It's possible to compile PopTray's published source with the .MHT modification, but the quick patch works fine.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 pm

My post wasn't a criticism ... it was meant to be more educational. IE say what Poptray was intended as and explain a bit about the file format that was chosen is a standard which is why it was being used...

... and to mention your type of solution ( whether it's as a .MHT or other common type such as .RTF which is even more open ) to the other programmer that is carrying on with the development since Renier isn't developing Poptray itself further ( at this time ).