"Plaintext authentication disallowed on non-secure (SSL/TLS)

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Ross119
First Timer

"Plaintext authentication disallowed on non-secure (SSL/TLS)

Post by Ross119 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 am

Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I've been using Poptray for YEARS now (great program), and just in the last couple of days I got this message "Plaintext authentication disallowed on non-secure (SSL/TLS) connections".

I've been told there have been some security enhancements made to the server I'm on, and I was told I need to select "Secure server" to connect, but Poptray doesn't seem to have that option in the account settings tab.

Is this something that Poptray will need upgrading for, or does it handle it already, and I just need to do something in the settings I haven't seen? Any advice would be helpful.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Poptray supports SSL with a plugin... see http://www.poptray.org/plugins.php

The basic instructions are below, I'm suggesting to close and re-open Poptray between steps in order to avoid certain errors that have been reported in the past...

Download the Examples plugins... close Poptray and install the plugins. Re-open Poptray and enable the POP3 with SSL and APOP plugin... close Poptray again... Re-open Poptray.... Make the required changes to your email account settings and remember to select the proper protocol POP3 w/ SSL .... close and re-open Poptray one last time.

ola78
First Timer

Post by ola78 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:37 pm

According to the text in the plugin page, the above suggested "Examples plugin" is "Not production quality" (which also the name "Examples" indicates, like the file name with Beta6 in it).

The timestamp of the source files are from the year 2003 i.e. 10 years ago.

Are there no plans with real built-in support for SSL/TLS ?
(I wanted to suggest this in the Features request forum but it currently seems to be locked)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 am

There have been no reports of issues with the SSL plugin itself... so example or beta, it makes no difference if it works, it works...

Poptray itself is no longer being developed which is why most of it's forum area's have been closed. Had further development been done, a plulgin for the various other protocols such as the SSL is still the smart way to release them. It allows the plugins to be developed and enhanced further without having to completely release a whole new program itself.

There is now a fork of Poptray in development called PoptrayU... It has already added support for UTF8, HTML emails and other areas in the main program.