Server Name

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Romi
First Timer

Server Name

Post by Romi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Dear Friends,

I had been using Pop Try for ages, but now I moved and had to change my Internet provider.
I cannot figure out the server name. Please, could you tell me where to find the name? I am with Bell Canada and when I contacted them and asked them for the name, they told me they do not support 3. party software. I am lost. I tried everything possible...bell.ca, bell.net, nothing works. My mail is coming from this site: http://by150w.bay150.mail.live.com so I thought maybe that is it, but not.
I have everything else there just the name. Do you have any ideas?
I will be so thankful to you.
I don't want to give up on the Pop Try.
I have Windows Mail and Windows Vista Home. The mail is coming to the Windows Mail from the server without problems.

Thank you for any help you can give to me!
:roll:

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:39 am

Not sure if this page will help or not because we have no way of telling what server names an ISP provides... but look here http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Email/O ... mail-setup

BTW... just because they don't support 3rd party software is no excuse for them to not provide you with the info you need such as server name, port address and if SSL is required or not... that is their responsibility even if they can't help with setting up Poptray or other software directly. If the above webpage doesn't help... don't let them bully you, make them tell you the info you need or ask to talk to their supervisor if they don't.

Romi
First Timer

Post by Romi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 am

Thank you so much for your reply!
I have all the info from the help topic but not the servers name. It is only in Pop Try. The one I used is pophm.sympatico.ca> and that gives me error 11004. My Windows Mail is set up and working so I don't have to go to their web site to receive my mail. I was before with Execulink.com and that was also the Server Name which I inserted in to Pop Try and it worked. Now, with the Bell, nothing is working. They told me that the server name is just that,
pophm.sympatico.ca, but it is not as the mail is coming from a different site I mentioned in my first post. I am not a technical person, maybe there is some plug in I have to have...They have Bell.ca, Bell.net, Sympatico etc...just a mess.
I guess, I will have to live without Pop Try and I hate it!
Thank you so much!
Cheers Romi

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 am

According to that website... the one you mentioned requires an SSL connection... so you need to make sure the SSL plugin is installed and active and then set the ports as that webpage listed.

The SSL plugin is included in the examples plugins download.

Romi
First Timer

Post by Romi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Thank you much RDSOK!
I will do for now without the Pop Try. I cannot have the plug in as my Avast require to disable it.
I am sad, but I hope that in the future something will change with my provider and I can have the Pop Try back.
Warm hugs Romi

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:33 am

Romi, the latest version of PopTrayU (a forked version of PopTray with better windows 7+ support) no longer requires a seperate dll plugin for SSL (just openssl dlls to be installed, and the installer will give you a link to download). I don't use Avast, so I don't know for certain whether this will fix your problem, but if the problem was the poptray pop3 ssl plugin, this might be an alternative that might work for you?

the website for poptrayu is: http://poptrayu.sourceforge.net/
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU