PopTray 3.2 getting slower and slower

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

luckyluke2301
Still here

PopTray 3.2 getting slower and slower

Post by luckyluke2301 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 am

Hi there, sorry to post this here but bug category was locked for me.

I use PT 3.2. for years now so I meanwhile have about 900 rules and 4500 addresses in my white list.

If I open PT for a first time on a day to add new entries to my white list there always is a huge delay before PT let me do so. It is about half a minute or more now before the white list gets displayed so that I can enter a new domain or address.

I am sure it is caused by the huge number of entries I have but isn't there a way to avoid these delays somehow. Cause otherwise I am afraid I will have to look for new solutions soon even if I would really miss my PT...

Thanks for checking solutions.

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 pm

I can not possibly imagine a need for rules and whitelists that big. Several dozen rules and 50-100 addresses sure but nothing close to what you have. You are doing something wrong.

Regardless, to avoid the delay IMO you have the following options:

1. Trim the lists. By 50% or more. The oldest entries first.
2. Get a faster machine.
3. Get a faster OS.
4. Add more RAM.

If you are unable to do those things then you will indeed "have to look for new solutions" which in turn will allow you to start with no rules and no whitelists. PopTray is no longer supported and hasn't been updated in years, which is why the bug category is closed.

When PopTray failed to run on my new Windows 7 64-bit system I upgraded to PopTrayU. You might like that app also.

hth
Ed

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 pm

thanks for the quick reply. Well, believe it or not but I really need these huge number of entries since I am communicating by e-mail with many companies.

So I installed PTU (didn't know that there is such an advanced version available in the meantime). There still is a delay but it is much shorter and therefore more convenient.
So thanks again for the idea...

But now for some reason PTU doesn't work the way it should. I have 3 active accounts and testing them shows that logins are fine. But when I check the accounts the mails are no being downloaded. Instead it shows one yellow marked message in each account but that message is an empty one.

I set all options and account settings like in my old PT3.2, imported my rules and manually transfered the white list. I am not using SSL.

But it still does not work. Have no idea what could be the problem. Do you?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Anytime you get that number of entries... no matter what program you choose to use... there will be a delay. As the saying goes... you can't load down a horse and expect it to run as quickly... changing horses will not make a difference... reducing the load will.

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

I generally agree to your position. I would understand if mail checking takes longer with all that rules and such long white list. But actually checking goes fast and reliable.

My only problem is that when I open the options to edit the white list it takes so long for the white list to get displayed. The data file of the white list however is only 77 KB of size. That does not seem so big...

To display and edit the rules does not cause any delay at all. Rule's file is 209 KB by the way.

Any idea to my new problem with PTU? Or do I need to make a new separate posting for that?

Thank you for your time.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:19 pm

All I can suggest on PTU... is to validate your settings for the accounts. I've never heard of getting an empty email like you mentioned in PT or PTU either one.

There are few differences between PT and PTU... It adds support for the newer OS since settings need to be in a different location on those and it adds Unicode support so UTF-8 encoded subject lines can be read. There were a few other minor enhancements but they still work in the same way otherwise.

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 pm

after trying quiet a while simultaneously with PT3.2 and PTU I found out that there must be a bug in PTU when using "Message Download" under "Advanced Options". If I check "Preview Top Lines" nothing is displayed in the previews at all except for the subject; not even sender or receipient. Totally blank preview. It doesn't matter which value I use i.e. 10 lines or the standard 50 lines.

If I uncheck "Preview Top Lines" then preview shows all content as I know it from PT3.2.

Next possible bug:
If I check "Retrieve Body while checking" and check standard subsetting "20 KB" for "only download if size is less than" I get an error while checking mails. It says "retrieve error: unable to retrieve message". If I increase the value to "500 KB" it works. No problems with the value of 20 KB under PT3.2. So I keep it at 500 KB as this ensures anyway that enough of the body is checked with my rules...

Where is the rules.log located in PTU?

(I'm running PTU on XP SP3)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:35 am

The rules.log file is in the same location you chose during the installation for the settings files. Either the program folder, the appdata area for your user account or the appdata area for the all user account

Reporting potential bugs for PTU here won't do any good though since this is a Poptray forum area. Post those either in the PoptrayU bug report forum area or on the authors sourceforge area for those types of issue.

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 am

unfortunetly no logfile here in any of those folders at all :( anyway thx for your help and time. Will report to PTU directly as proposed...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

PS.... with Poptray and Poptray U.... the default is to not log the rules. You must enable the option in Advanced->Misc.

Ed P
Still here

Post by Ed P » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 pm

What version of PTU are you trying LL? I'm running the version 5 beta 8 and it is definitely stable and fixes several problems and shortcomings found in earlier version including the creation of the problem log.
Ed

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:23 pm

I also used the latest version PTU5 beta 8. Meanwhile I deleted it from my PC again and I will wait a bit longer until there is a final version available. I visited the developer's site again and have sent him a bug report. While doing so I recognized that there still are similar issues like mine unsolved (ghost mails, etc.) as you can see on the bug tracker page.

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 pm

just an update: I meanwhile work on a new machine with Windows 8 and of course I installed PT 3.2 again. It works fine and fast as it used to do on my XP years ago. So obviously the huge number of rules and white list entries has no negative effect on PT's performance at all. Guess my aged XP installation somehow caused the problem with PT but not the program itself :)

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 am

luckyluke2301, you might be able to reduce your number of whitelist/blacklist entries significantly by using wildcards. Rules may use wildcards and/or regular expressions. I haven't done any benchmarks on it, but I have a feeling that quantity of rules and whitelist entries could slow the app down quite a bit, especially if there are many emails in your inbox.
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU