where does PopTray 3.2 save White List under Windows 8

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

luckyluke2301
Still here

where does PopTray 3.2 save White List under Windows 8

Post by luckyluke2301 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 pm

not knowing that Poptray might not work under W8 I simply installed it with Administrator rights and it worked fine. I copied the saved poptray.ini, WhiteList, Rules and accounts into the program folder and when I started Poptray I found everything as known from XP. So I thought it obviously works fine under W8 like various other older programs I installed under W8.

But today I recognized that new entries in my white list and rules were not saved in the program folder's files WhiteList and Rules. The files were untouched since I installed PT in W8. So I completely deleted PT and reinstalled it again without importing my settings, white list and rules. When starting PT all my settings, white list and rules were still used by the fresh PT.

So it is obvious that such files like account settings, white list and rules must be saved elsewhere under W8 but not in the PT program folder.

I made a search but could not find such files in other locations on my machine.

So now I am totally confused. How could a freshly installed PopTray know all my individual settings and where does it get my white list and rules from?

I need to know this as I want to make backups from time to time...

Would be great if somebody knows how PT works in W8 respectively where it puts the user's files.

Thanks

UPDATE:
-------------
well, I performed a new more detailed search on my machine and finally found the location by my own. White List, Rules and Poptray.ini are saved at following location:

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\PopTray

Didn't delete my post as it might be usefull for others later...

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:23 pm

That is the typical location that Windows since either Vista or 7 ( can't remember when it was first implemented ) places files/settings for programs that aren't made for the newer versions of Windows...

Personally I'd recommend updating to PoptrayU since it does take into account the newer versions of Windows and has added a few features and fixed a few of the older bugs...

Using Poptray in anything newer than WinXP is unsupported... not to mention that Poptray itself won't be updated unless Reneir changes his mind.

luckyluke2301
Still here

Post by luckyluke2301 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks for your confirmation. I still tried PT_U under XP two months ago but I recognized many bugs so I immediately returned to regular PT. So far PT 3.2 works really fine for me on W8. I use it in POP3 mode even if my mail accounts are IMAP. I run it without notifications so that it just silently applies my white list and rules and does a great job deleting spam and unwanted stuff.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:42 pm

PT_U has the same underlying code in it that PT has... the changes/updates are unlikely to have added any bugs that didn't exist previously unless it is in the newer features which are optional such as the html preview that didn't exist previously.

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:04 am

luckyluke2301,
if you must use PopTray 3.2 on win 7 or 8, I would recommend installing it to a folder outside program files. Then you will not require running as administrator, or have issues writing to the program folder when it goes to save the INI file with the settings.

Good places to install might be
c:\poptray
c:\apps\poptray
c:\users\me\appdata\poptray
etc.
---
Jessica Brown
Developer of PopTrayU