pop tay 3+

General discussion about PopTray. You love it? You hate it? Talk about it here.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

rtrg
First Timer

pop tay 3+

Post by rtrg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Are there settings under OPTIONS or elsewhere that allows the tray icon to change behavior on the fly? as in changing from static to flashing and/or playing a sound. and/or displaying the current email that arrived? As opposed to depending on a SECOND one appearing as needed to do the same thing. I would rather have a permanent icon changing behavior on the fly. This icon is to work with a combination of THUNDERBIRD version 38 and Gmail accounts. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm

The icon, depending on the general options settings, will change when checking the email accounts and if there are unread emails in the accounts, the number of emails are shown... the sound options are in the default options page.

What email client you use is irrelevant although you can select to open different ones based on which account is shown as active if you wish or you can have it set to open the same email program for all accounts... again that is controlled in the various option pages.

rtrg
First Timer

tray icon

Post by rtrg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:26 am

Rdsok wrote:The icon, depending on the general options settings, will change when checking the email accounts and if there are unread emails in the accounts, the number of emails are shown... the sound options are in the default options page.

What email client you use is irrelevant although you can select to open different ones based on which account is shown as active if you wish or you can have it set to open the same email program for all accounts... again that is controlled in the various option pages.
As I write this the tray icon is unchanged, a closed envelope, Despite having 7 emails in my email client. When I open it an icon appears in the task bar which DOES flash until I read and delete some or all messages into trash which I typically empty at the same time. The task icon changes to solid then disappears when I close the client. UNLIKE an answering machine that blinks when unheard messages are recorded. the tray icon does NOT work the same way. Where are the options to enable these behaviors? in the POP TRAY icon/page, and/or the client?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Poptray shows the number of new emails in the icon tray, once you've opened Poptray and have seen the list of emails, it reverts back to a blank icon again.

So the number shown isn't the number of unread emails, it's the number of new emails you have in the account which is reset once you've seen the email list for that account.

POP email servers do not have a read/unread attribute like some of the newer IMAP email servers... Poptray needs to act the same no matter what type of email server it is connected too and is listed the available emails for... and since it is not an email client but an email notifier... the icon is set to only show how many new emails since the last time Poptray was opened for a particular account.