Display Problems on Windows 7 64-bit

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

tisazalay
First Timer

Display Problems on Windows 7 64-bit

Post by tisazalay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 pm

When I open the options tab and select defaults pane, nothing is showed, only two white rectangles and a dropbox that says english, then If I hover over the tab, icons start appearing that read "..." and "Test" (one with a folder and one with a music symbol).

Is there a solution for that?

tisazalay
(Using PopTray 3.2 on Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit)[/img]

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:33 pm

That is typically a problem caused by your video drivers themselves and not the programs you run... They are not refreshing the screen properly. Update the video drivers to the proper version for your hardware as listed on the manufacturers website.

tisazalay
First Timer

Thanks

Post by tisazalay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks, managed to solve it by disabling visual effects for PopTray. (BTW, I tried 2 different drivers for my ATI Mobility Radeon 4250 that were 8 months apart but the same problem persisted). In the process I learned that On W7 you can disable visual effects for individual apps, a hint on the solution was that it worked when I reverted to a Classic Windows Theme.
Another approach which didn't help (maybe because I didn't create the file well) was with a poptray.exe.manifest, but I couldn't find an app that would create it and I simply copied one xxxx.exe.manifest I found.
(Disabling visual effects for poptray was straight forward after you right click on the app. in explorer and select properties!!!)

tisazalay

groucho7
First Timer

PopTray options not dispalyed in Windows 7

Post by groucho7 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:50 pm

On my Windows 7 64-bit system you can see the *fields* for the PopTray Defaults (the default e-mail client and default sound) but you can only see the Browse [...] and Test buttons to their right after you move your mouse pointer over their places. You say that disabling the visual effects for PopTray in Windows 7 solved your issue. How do you disable the visual effects *for individual applications* in Windows 7? And will Renier Crause ever issue a bug-free version of PopTray for Windows 7 that will not require the user to use all these workarounds? Thanks.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:54 am

Using Windows Explorer, right click on the Poptray.exe file and select Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. On my Windows it is refered to as "Disable visual themes" ... not effects, perhaps a difference in language versions or something.

Last mentioned by Renier was that no plans for any further updates since Poptray fit his needs already.

It is unfair to call it a bug... you are using Poptray on a version of Windows that Poptray was never made to run on... So this is no more a bug in Poptray or for that matter in Windows... you are using it in a manner it was never intended in a sense.