Poptray & Grisoft AVG antivirus

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

testcom
First Timer

Poptray & Grisoft AVG antivirus

Post by testcom » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:25 am

My PC runs under WinXPP SP2.
I recently installed AVG antivirus ( ver.7 FREE) with email scan enabled.
Now Poptray is showing in each of my 4 mailboxes 2 "phantom" messages ( 996kB and 1144kB), marked as Spam:
To, Subject and Date are blank.
Those messages do not exists in reality as another of my PC, running Win98 SE, and the same AVG version, is not showing them.
Any attempt to "remove" those messages from this PC's Poptray ends up in Poptray going into a "loop", saying "Messages identifiers don't match...". When OK is clicked on that Error Message, Poptray automatically does another "check" and pops up the same error message. There is no escape from that loop but for ending Poptray through Task Manager.
ANy idea what may be causing this condition?
Marek_B

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:50 am

Try disabling the email certification. This also causes other issues in some cases.

Open the Control Center, double-click the Email Scanner click the Configure button and remove the checkmarks next to the incoming/outgoing Certify mail options click Apply and Ok. As long as that is all you disable, your AVG will still scan the email but just won't add the cert to the message.. this will also keep it from altering the message ID's.

joeperry
First Timer

AVG for Email

Post by joeperry » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:31 pm

I've got the same problem. Just happened the other day. I still can't figure out how to get rid of those phantom messages!

The message is in each of my accounts I have setup for poptray. The From field has AVG for Email, all the other fields are blank as well as the message...i noticed that the email address that sent the message is from avgmail@localhost

Really weird...anyone got any ideas?

:?

joeperry
First Timer

AVG and Poptray phantom messages

Post by joeperry » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:18 pm

Ok, I found the solution...
Go to your AVG application data folder on your computer...I have Windows XP, so mine was here...
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\AVG7\QUEUE\IN\10110\45DB1E.emc

Under this folder I found the .emc file which was the phantom email that AVG sent. I deleted the file and the phantom email disappeared from my poptray.

Your system may be different, but just look under your C:\ drive for the folders AVG7\QUEUE\IN
Keep digging you'll find the file. Hope this helped!

Joe :D

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:57 am

workhorse wrote:xenical - http://www.bestrxpills.com
WORKHORSE is spamming the forum.

IMO - His USERNAME, IP and EMAIL SHOULD BE BANNED :!:
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:43 am

User deleted.

Denn
Still here

RE: AVG and Poptray phantom messages

Post by Denn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks JoePerry

I had been searching all morning trying to find an answer to this problem. Its nice when someone will take the time to help someone else. If not for you I would still be trying to figure this out.
PlanetDenn.com

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:14 am

Denn,

This is a five year old thread, AVG was only at v7 at that time... I believe the issue that caused AVG to have the problem was resolved a long time ago... based on that... make certain you have updated to the latest version of AVG ( currently v9.xxx at this time )

If you are using the latest version of AVG... perhaps something in your configuration is the ultimate cause and you may want to consider reporting the issue to AVG to get it resolved.

Denn
Still here

Post by Denn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:43 am

I am using AVG version 9.0.839 and windows 7, 64 bit. I was having this same problem Joe Perry was having. Joe Perry was using XP so the files that I needed to delete were not in the same place, but after reading his solution and by using a search for *.emc I found the files he referred to and deleted them thereby solving a problem I have been chasing for weeks. BTW: I disabled the email certification, but it did not solve the problem. I am a webmaster and an IT manager at a TV station, WKFK.com, plus I have a server and several clients that I have to keep up with. I have 12 different email boxes and PopTray has been a life saver for me. However, this problem has been a thorn in my side and a pain in my butt, so I was very grateful that he had posted the answer to this problem. I don't know why I was having the problem, but regardless, he gave the correct answer to solve it and I'm grateful.
PlanetDenn.com

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 am

I did understand that your issue was resolved... that wasn't what my post was about really.

As I mentioned, AVG ( the cause of the trouble ) used to have the issue back during v7 that caused what you were seeing in Poptray ( AVG wasn't removing the temp file it was scanning the email with ) ... Since you are using a newer version... I'd suggest the second suggestion I mentioned, report it to AVG so the underlying cause of the issue can be addressed properly within AVG itself.

Denn
Still here

Tried That...

Post by Denn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Rdsok,

I probably should have mentioned that I tried AVG to begin with, but it has become much like Norton, more interested in selling you something rather that helping with a problem. I spent 30 minutes going completely through their site trying to find a place to report a problem, but I could not. And of course it is obvious that this is an AVG problem. It would seem to me it would be a good thing for them to have a button on their site that would say "click here to report a problem". It would certainly be a help to them and their customers. If you know of a link please let me know and I'll report this to them.

Sorry I was not more clear earlier. I was just happy to have found an answer. Thanks for your help.

PS: I should also mention in AVG's behalf that I'm using the FREE version and I should also say that I'm grateful for them offering a FREE version. I realize that help is available for people who have bought the product.
PlanetDenn.com

Bateman
PopTray Family

Post by Bateman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:16 am

Props to joeperry for the solution. This problem was bugging me as well for quite some time. Still don't know why this thread came to my attention that late -.- Anyways...

Strangely enough, the file in question was in
XX:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\emc\Queue\IN\10110

It's a slightly different path, just in case some other users wonder where to find this *.emc file (running WinXP, AVG9, free version) and are too lazy to use the windows search :wink:

Again, thanks a lot. Greatly appreciated.