PopTray retrieving already retrieved.

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Four
First Timer

PopTray retrieving already retrieved.

Post by Four » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:51 pm

I set ti use UIDL for only new messages (i have expensive traffic). But when i restart poptray, it requests my 1100 server messages (not only new). After it, until next restart it retrieves only new messages. What i have doing wrong?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: PopTray retrieving already retrieved.

Post by KY Dave » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:06 am

Four wrote:I set ti use UIDL for only new messages (i have expensive traffic). But when i restart poptray, it requests my 1100 server messages (not only new). After it, until next restart it retrieves only new messages. What i have doing wrong?
You have done nothing wrong.

That is the way PopTray works. Each time you RESTART PopTray, it will retrieve all messages, no matter if they are new or old.

If you have PopTray's, OPTIONS, ADVANCED OPTIONS, box checked for ENABLE QUICK CHECKING, then PopTray will not download all messages, it will simply check the server to see if anything has changed since it's last check. If there are new messages, then PopTray will download ALL messages again.

If you are concerned with bandwidth, you could use PopTray to just check the HEADERS.
In PopTray, OPTIONS ADVANCED OPTIONS, unCHECK the box for RETRIEVE BODY WHILE CHECKING.

Really, the best suggestion I can make is to move 1,090 messages off the server or into a different folder.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Four
First Timer

Post by Four » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:45 pm

i do this. but checking takes long time anymore. e.g. The Bat! checks more faster than poptray. Why? Can i set up PopTray same as The Bat!?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Four wrote:i do this. but checking takes long time anymore. e.g. The Bat! checks more faster than poptray. Why? Can i set up PopTray same as The Bat!?
You do what... you moved the emails to another folder as recommended or you setup the settings in the way that KY Dave mentioned?

POP3/SMTP email was never meant to be used as a storage location and what you are doing is just that. So basically you are trying to use the POP3 server in a manner that it wasn't really designed for. Poptray is just a basic email checker and doesn't have all of the features that a full email client like The Bat! has.

joetabla
First Timer

Post by joetabla » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:53 am

i have this problem too. and i keep about 1100 messages (or more) on the server. but i use IMAP clients for the most part -i don't use my email server as a simple pop3 message queue.

why? i keep a few months worth of messages online. this way i can access my mail via my server's web interface when i'm without my laptop or whatever. it's all about flexibility. having the last few months on the server means i can reference and follow-up on current threads using the online interface, along with incoming email as need be.

eventually i download and archive things, get them off the server, but having a few months backlog, all the current items really helps.

so i guess, mail for me isn't a simple message queue. and in this model i want notification about incoming mail only. this is why i thought PopTray could check the server on startup, get the UID and the count or whatever --and start notification using quick check after that, not download the whole inbox on startup. i think PopTray would be awesome if it included enough smarts to do that.

could be a simple user checkbox to choose operating/startup mode.