New Mail sound doesn't work in Vista

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

New Mail sound doesn't work in Vista

Post by jojobear99 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:46 am

I am using PopTray 3.2. I just got a new computer with Vista Premium pre-installed on it. For the most part, Pop-tray seems to work fine on vista. Some of the options tabs, seem to have some invisible labels though and buttons that only appear when you mouse over them (the Defaults page has no labels above the text-boxes and the ... buttons and test buttons only appear when you mouse-over them. I tried to set the new-mail sound, as I didn't care for the windows default beep clinking sound as a mail sound. But when I press the test button...it just plays windows default beep sound, not the wave file I selected.

If you need further information to help debug this issue, just let me know what!

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:26 pm

In the DEFAULTS Page, click the Button with 3 dots and NAVIGATE to your wave sound file.

Select the file, click OPEN, then SAVE OPTIONS.

Click TEST to make sure file has been selected.

QUIT PopTray and RESTART PopTray for changes to take effect.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Thanks for that tip it was helpful at narrowing down the problem. It appears to be something with that specific wav file (the cashregister.wav file from AOL instant mesenger, which plays fine in windows media player). Other wav files work fine, so at least I have a working sound now, even if I don't know why that file is incomaptible with poptray on my machine!

But there is still the cosmetic bug I'm seeing, which is worth noting: (screenshots linked)

When I first open the page to change the sounds:
http://flickr.com/photos/jojobear99/2127373636/

after I mouseover the buttons:
http://flickr.com/photos/jojobear99/2127373668/