General webmail Bug Question

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

cooter20005
First Timer

General webmail Bug Question

Post by cooter20005 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi all,

I just stumbled upon PopTray while researching applications that can deal with webmail.

After browsing many forums I've realized that several plug-ins similar to PopTray get a lot of bugs which require users to often install updates to allow the plug-in to run properly with their webmail.

Incidentally, I noticed that PopTray seems to be one of the apps that has the least amount of problems which is why I've decided to use one ;)

Here's my question: why do applications build for webmail generally seem so unstable?

Cooter

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:41 pm

PopTray IS NOT built for webmail access, its built for POP3/SMTP or SSL POP3/SMTP email access. IMAP access has been added to it in the form of several plugins but IMAP is not standardized so it doesn't always work with every IMAP server. WebMail is even less standardized than IMAP and the only way to access it with PopTray is with 3rd party tools such as FreePOPs.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: General webmail Bug Question

Post by KY Dave » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:37 pm

cooter20005 wrote: Here's my question: why do applications build for webmail generally seem so unstable?

Cooter
IMO - Webmail is usually free.
They receive their income from advertisers.
The advertisers usually will pay based upon a per view basis.
If an application is accessing the webmail without the user viewing the ads, they are bypassing the purpose of providing the email service, which is to get views for their sponsors.
To avoid this access, programmers change their web pages frequently in order to 'break' the programs that access their web mail without actually viewing the web pages.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.