PopTray freezes Vista

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

pari53
Still here

PopTray freezes Vista

Post by pari53 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi all.
PopTray v. 3.2 on PC Windows Vista Ultimate, on PC boot, very frequently losts poptray.ini file, creates a new poptray.ini file and freezes PC.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Poptray 3.2 was created well before Vista was released... but if you make certain changes to your startup commands and also check that other settings take Poptray into account you should be able to run it without problems...

Change your startup command to use the following...

"C:\Program Files\PopTray\PopTray.exe" "%USERPROFILE%"

This will place the INI in an area that the users have the proper rights to the INI file... Users do not have the same rights in the program folder where it is normally installed ( not even admin users ) .

Make certain that Poptray is setup in your firewall properly.

If you have an antivirus with email scanning, you may also need to configure Poptray properly for that AV program... you will need to read the help file for the AV to see what may need done.

The same info also applies to any spam filter software you may be using.

Microsoft still has a lot of work to do on Vista to make it a stable operating system... You can do a lot by making certain that it is completely up to date. Check for updates until no more are listed ( often it will take several times doing this to get all updates ).

pari53
Still here

Post by pari53 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks for the message.
I have changed the launch command and copied poptray.ini in %userprofile% folder.
I would also launch poptray few minutes after the boot, but, using scheduled tasks and delaying three minutes later access, poptray runs, but the icon does not appear on the tray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:56 pm

Try disabling the UAC and see if that helps resolve the icon in the tray issue or not... currently Vista's new UAC causes many issues but only testing will find out if its that or not on your system since the UAC acts differently on different systems

pari53
Still here

Post by pari53 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:46 am

UAC has been disabled since the firste run of Vista.
I have copied in %USERPROFILE% also black list and rules: what other configuration files should copy?
If the tray icon is not present, poptray works equally and correctly?
Thanks.

pari53
Still here

Post by pari53 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 am

Concerning the scheduled operation with delayed start, I resolved: I turned on the checkbox "Run only if the user is connected" and now poptray starts with 4 minutes late on login.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 pm

For some reason, your PC is not being connected at login. What could be causing that problem?

I would believe, that is the reason PopTray was 'freezing' you PC before.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

pari53
Still here

Post by pari53 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:56 pm

My PC is connected at startup.
I launch many security programs at startup and I postponed the execution of PT and other programs not essential to have a lighter boot.