Auto-deleted messages?

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

dencill
First Timer

Auto-deleted messages?

Post by dencill » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:03 pm

I came across a strange anomaly where a mail sent by a colleague (while he was on the phone) was received and then auto-deleted.

We could not find anything that could cause this, but anotehr friend finally came up with this, about winmail.dat

According to Mozilla:
"The Microsoft Outlook e-mail program sometimes sends e-mails in the Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (TNEF). Most other e-mail programs, including Thunderbird, do not understand TNEF.

If your e-mail program doesn't understand TNEF, instead of seeing the e-mail and/or attachment, you may only see an attachment named "winmail.dat" or "Part 1.2" that you cannot open. Also, sometimes you may receive a TNEF attachment with a generic name such as ATT00008.dat or ATT00005.eml instead."
However, despite receiving dozens of mail a day, this is the first time I have encountered this problem (although it does make me wonder about the odd mystery mail that went adrift!)

Any thoughts?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Are you talking about in Poptray or your email client... the forum is only for Poptray and isn't a general Windows support forum.

Poptray does not auto-delete anything unless you have black-listed an email address and didn't select the option to mark black-list as spam.... or if you have created a rule that is set to delete an email which matches a certain criteria. For either of those reasons, this would not be called a bug.

dencill
First Timer

Post by dencill » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:34 pm

I have been a PopTray user for many years. However, we could not find a reason for this particular mail being deleted - the sender was not on my blacklist (we often exchange mails) and while it did have some images attached, these only amounted to about 300KB, so well short of any likely mailbox limit (in excess of 10MB appears to get bounced on my system).

As mentioned, this mail was being sent while I was on the phone to the sender, so I was looking at PopTray while it was being deleted. We tried three times - each time it got deleted. No rule was written which should have deleted it either.

Switching PopTray off temporarily, allowed the mail to be downloaded directly into Opera, so there didn't appear to be anything critical to it.

With thanks

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:15 pm

You have to have a rule that was causing it... look at the rules.log to find out