Poptray fails to delete, sometimes ...

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Frovingslosh
Still here

Poptray fails to delete, sometimes ...

Post by Frovingslosh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Problem: check box to delete email when rule matches is being ignored in some cases, but not in others!

Versions: 3.1 and 3.2 (untested in prior versions)

Details: I have a number of rules that play a notify message and then delete the e-mail. Some work (the email is flagged for deletion on next check), in other cases the delete check mark seems to be ignored and the mail is not automatically deleted. Audio messages added to all of these rules confirms that the rule is indeed matching, as unique sounds play in each case, but the deletion does not get flagged.

I've compared the working rules to the failing ones and can find no difference. I have a lot of rules (over 40) and so I deleted a handful of them but the problem didn't change. I can change the order of the rules with no change (the ones that work still work, the ones that fail to delete still fail to delete). I've created new rule entries intended to do what the failing rules should do, and positioned them before the failing rules, but they fail also! The only actions checked are "Delete from server" and, for testing to confirm that the rule is matching "play sound" with a unique sound for that rule. It fails to delete no matter if the play sound option is checked or not, but it always plays the correct sound when the option is checked.

I'm running out of things to try.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Try disabling email checking in your antivirus program or spam filter software... these sometimes alter what email id is shown/given to the email programs.

Frovingslosh
Still here

Post by Frovingslosh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:57 pm

No email checking or active anti-virus is running (there is only a virus scanner that I can run when explicity evoked on that systen, I don't believe in any anti-virus software that actively messes with email or downloads or anything else).

I've learned slightly more. As an additional test I took one of the rules that is working, move it up the list, and added rows of additional pattern matching to the working rule. It still deletes the mail that it used to, but it now fails to delete the mail that I've been having trouble deleting too! More accurately, it fails to mark those messages for deletion on next connection (If I manually mark the messages for deletion they get deleted fine).

And I may now have a pattern to the problem. The two accounts that I've identified I'm having this problem with are booth for messages that are reaching this e-mail account in a round-about way, they are first going to Spamgourmet.com, where they are being forwarded. There is actually another level of forwarding too, but I don't think that is relevant as the messages that do properly get flagged for deletion go through that forwarding also. So my current theory is that Poptray is having problems automatically flagging messages for deletion when they have passed through Spamgourmet.com. I still need to do some additional tests to confirm this. And it may even be that the messages need more than one level of forwarding before they fail to mark for deletion properly.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:28 am

How many times you relay/forward an email do not make any difference to Poptray... the only other possible cause would be if the POP server itself is doing something odd with the email id's... when Poptray issues a delete command to the email server it is only saying "delete email id such and such" ... it is then up to the server to do anything further.

So here are the possible suspects including what you and I mentioned before...

- The rule itself has an issue or there is a whitelisted or other type of protection...
- Antivirus or spam software not passing the email id properly or consistantly
- Pop server itself is doing something odd with the email id so its not the same when the delete command happens.

The pop server issue is rare but does happen... my money is on the rule itself at this point.