FAKE ANTI VIRUS HIJACK OF DOWNLOAD PAGE

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

DDDannn
Still here

FAKE ANTI VIRUS HIJACK OF DOWNLOAD PAGE

Post by DDDannn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Hello,

I downloaded PT this afternoon after doing aGoogle search to find the page and clicked on downloads and a pop up appeared saying my computer was infected and began installing something which I had to shut down Firefox to get rid of. Its happenned several times and the address in the bar is this: http://gigfourm.com/in.cgi?6&parameter= ... ERER=31863
Prettyvicious stuff.
May be want to check this out?

Thanks for a great program shame to se it ruined.

DDDannn.
DDDannn

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:01 am

I just looked through Renier's ( Poptray's author ) html source code on his actual download page and see no indication that his website was infected... Since you mentioned that you used a Google search to locate it, I would guess that you didn't select the actual Poptray download page but some other that is hosting it on their own accord.

The real Poptray website ( and its download page ) is here http://www.poptray.org/

The page you went to ( if my guess is correct ) could be either an innocent website which was hacked and infected... or a phishing page that is only claiming to be related to Poptray.

There is another very slim possiblity that I've only seen a few times, you went to another website where you picked up the exploit and then it didn't trigger until later after you had left that page.

In any case, no matter the actual cause... I'd suggest that you run another scanner util different than what you currently have installed. The one I'd suggest is Malwarebytes Antimalware . It is always best to play it safe in these types of cases