PopTray does not delete messages with Windows Live Mail

Found a serious/minor bug in PopTray? Tell me about it.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

PopTray does not delete messages with Windows Live Mail

Post by homaquebec » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I just installed PopTray on a computer that runs with Windows 7 64. I use Windows Live Mail as e-mail program.

Everything works fine except that in the mail window, PopTray does not delete the messages that have been read with Windows Live Mail. I have to delete them manually. I even receive messages (sounds) saying that I got new mail if do not delele them.

Did I make bad settings? The same ones work fine on an other computer with Vista.

Thanks. Happy to be back and see that Renier, KY Dave and Rdsok are always there.
Last edited by homaquebec on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

THE solution

Post by homaquebec » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:49 pm

According to the information that I found here, I changed the settings in Windows Live Mail. Now the messages, having been read, are deleted in the mail window of PopTray at the next checking.

Thank You GeeBee!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:28 am

homaquebec,

I've been trying to metally work through this issue since you posted the solution that worked for you so I can help in similar issues in the future ( if I can remember about this )...

While I could question one person's results ( GeeBee in this case )... its hard to dispute two reporting this unless its actually something else actually happening...

What I'm having an issue with is how an email client can have any effect on an email server at all. In fact just to be truthful, I still doubt it...

If the Live Mail's account in question is setup for a POP3 server... there isn't a way LM could stop another program ( Poptray in this case ) from deleting the email from the server... but if the LM account was setup for IMAP or perhaps a webmail account ( Hotmail as an example ) I can imagine how it would appear that Poptray didn't delete an email when in fact it had.

I'm guessing ... LM still downloads emails even from IMAP/HTTP email servers... then, if its settings say to keep the email for 14 days... it would appear to still have the email even though it's been removed from the server by Poptray. At least that is my "theory" on what is happening.

I know in my settings in LM ( also on Win7 Pro 64b ) ... I have it set to leave the email on the server ( I access the email for both work and home so I don't want to delete it until I'm ready and I do use Poptray for that purpose ). I also have my accounts setup as POP3 in LM... not IMAP/HTTP. I also don't use LM as my default client... it was only setup as a test... my main email client is MS Outlook 2010.

I am only guessing at this... but a confirmation or denial of what I'm thinking could be helpful.

Randy

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:14 pm

I use WLM and have it set to leave messages on server, not set for a specific time though. I d/load the messages into WLM and read them after PopTray & K9 deletes the spam. After the messages are read in WLM, I delete them from the server using PopTray.

I don't have any problems using the two programs together. Is this the setup you're referring to in your posts?
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Not really... In WLM is your account that it was happing on setup to access the server using POP3, HTTP ( like Hotmail ) or IMAP...

If its a POP2 setup... then I don't have any theory that would address it... if its the other two types... then its possible that the message really are being deleted on the server but your WLM just still has a copy in its own storage on your system... so they don't appear as gone in WLM when in fact the server did delete them.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Not sure if your question was for me, but I will answer. My HotMail accounts are setup as POP3 accounts and running through an AVG server setup as a FIXED HOST at pop3.live.com
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 pm

KY Dave wrote:Not sure if your question was for me, but I will answer. My HotMail accounts are setup as POP3 accounts and running through an AVG server setup as a FIXED HOST at pop3.live.com
It was for anyone... so thanks...

It is odd, to say the least, that somehow one email clients setup is affecting how the email server is acting. Since, in this case, it's a Hotmail account.. I'm not really suprised... Hotmail and GMail do not act like standard email servers.