Problem with MS Office 2003 and "run E-mail Client"

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

danielcanteros
First Timer

Problem with MS Office 2003 and "run E-mail Client"

Post by danielcanteros » Sun May 21, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi,
I've been using PopTray with MS Office 2000 during quite long, without any problem. However, after switching to MS Office 2003 a few days ago, when I click on "run e-mail client" in PopTray, MS Outlook (not MS Express!) doesn't run. Could anybody explain me how to solve this problem? I even tried with the new 3.2 beta version, without success...
Thanks and regards,
Daniel

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun May 21, 2006 2:35 pm

In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, DEFAULTS, EMAIIL PROGRAM, click the Button with the THREE DOTS and point PopTray to the MS OUTLOOK Program.
SAVE OPTIONS, QUIT and RESTART PopTray for changes to take effect.

Your OS DEFAULT email program will still start when you click REPLY or OPEN.

You can change that in XP by clicking the START BUTTON, SET PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS...

Click in the Microsoft Windows section and set OUTLOOK as the EMAIL program, then click OK.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

danielcanteros
First Timer

Post by danielcanteros » Sun May 21, 2006 3:06 pm

KY Dave wrote:In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, DEFAULTS, EMAIIL PROGRAM, click the Button with the THREE DOTS and point PopTray to the MS OUTLOOK Program.
SAVE OPTIONS, QUIT and RESTART PopTray for changes to take effect.

Your OS DEFAULT email program will still start when you click REPLY or OPEN.

You can change that in XP by clicking the START BUTTON, SET PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS...

Click in the Microsoft Windows section and set OUTLOOK as the EMAIL program, then click OK.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your tips. I tried all options given by you, but couldn't get the "run e-mail client" to work.
In the Options tab, defaults, E-mail programs, clicking the button with the 3 dots doesn't give the chance to select between MS Outlook and Outlook Express. It shows only the Express option. And in Start/Set program access, etc, I have already set 'use my actual e-mail programm'.
Would there be any other way of solving this problem?
Thanks again for your friendly help,
Daniel

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Sun May 21, 2006 3:22 pm

You could try to make a shortcut of MS Outlook and place it on the desktop. Then check if you can run MS Outlook by clicking on the icon. If you can, right click on the icon and get the properties. Copy the content of the target window. Paste it in PopTray in the window where you indicate what email client to open. Click on Save. Test it.

danielcanteros
First Timer

Post by danielcanteros » Sun May 21, 2006 3:29 pm

homaquebec wrote:You could try to make a shortcut of MS Outlook and place it on the desktop. Then check if you can run MS Outlook by clicking on the icon. If you can, right click on the icon and get the properties. Copy the content of the target window. Paste it in PopTray in the window where you indicate what email client to open. Click on Save. Test it.
Hello again Dave,
It worked!! Thanks a lot for your counseling, you seem to be a hell of a wizzard!
Daniel

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun May 21, 2006 3:40 pm

danielcanteros wrote:I tried all options given by you, but couldn't get the "run e-mail client" to work.
In the Options tab, defaults, E-mail programs, clicking the button with the 3 dots doesn't give the chance to select between MS Outlook and Outlook Express. It shows only the Express option.
You have to 'navigate' to the PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK Diretory and point PopTray to the OUTLOOK exe file.

Anyway, glad you were able to use homaquebec's suggestion. That will work just like finding the correct file in PopTray.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.