Why XP must be saved

Anything and Everything. Chat about stuff not related to PopTray.

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Why XP must be saved

Post by homaquebec » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:22 pm

According to InfoWorld, “the clock is ticking: Microsoft will end OEM and shrink-wrapped sales of Windows XP on June 30, 2008, forcing users to shift to Vista. (System builders, meaning those who do white-box PCs, can sell XP through December 31.) Don't let that happen!”

“Microsoft doesn't have to admit failure; it can just say it will keep XP available indefinitely due to customer demand. It can take that opportunity to try again with a better Vista, or just move on to the next version that maybe this time we'll all actually want.”

InfoWorld writes “Make your voice heard to Microsoft. Sign our petition to save XP today. We will present it to Microsoft. And ask your friends and colleagues to join in, too. Just point them to SaveXP.com.”

Details:http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprised ... ition.html

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Consumers who own Windows XP machines already were entitled to get customer service on the software up until April 2009.

That date reflects Microsoft's policy of curtailing its support for an edition of Windows two years after a new version hits the market.

On Wednesday, however, Microsoft said consumers who still have Windows XP running after April 2009 will be entitled to five more years of "extended support."

In the extended plan, consumers will still get security fixes, but instead of free service from the Microsoft help desk, they will have to pay for most assistance.

Microsoft said the move was meant to bring the support policies for consumers in line with what businesses already have.
Windows XP users will continue getting SECURITY UPDATES until the year 2014. That is a long time for a company to support their product.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

Some users of Vista are saying after a few updates and changing some settings they are getting used to Vista.
Have you tried it?
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Post by homaquebec » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:41 pm

KY Dave wrote: [...]

Some users of Vista are saying after a few updates and changing some settings they are getting used to Vista.
Have you tried it?
Thanks for answering.

No, I dit not try it. I have a [Dell] computer - with Windows XP as OS - that is pretty new. I do not plan to get a new one soon. But I read and heard so much bad things about it. And I think that this new OS was just a way for Microsoft to make MORE cash!

homaquebec
PopTray Family

Windows Vista, the second Tech's all-time top flop

Post by homaquebec » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:36 pm

According to InfoWord, Windows Vista is the second Tech's all-time top flop. “When the dust finally cleared, the new OS seemed like little more than a bloated rehash of Windows XP, touched up with fresh coat of 3D-rendered paint.”

8Mail
First Timer

Post by 8Mail » Thu May 06, 2010 9:10 pm

Yeah, in retrospect this thread is kinda funny/spot on. Vista was pretty much a disaster hence it was quickly succeeded by Windows 7. I'm not sure if I like the latter much better but its definitely more secure. I'm still sticking to XP though...anyone else?
"Old lie — The check is in the mail. New lie — I didn't check the e-mail." — Brian Fine.
My flash drive: Corsair Flash Voyager GTR