Gmail Plug-in [ OUT DATED ]

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Renier
Site Admin

Gmail Plug-in [ OUT DATED ]

Post by Renier » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:41 pm

Just for fun, I decided to write a Gmail plug-in. This is of course very much beta code, but give it a try. You can download it from the SourceForge page.

The MessageSize is not supported (not sure if it's possible), and you won't get the complete headers when showing the list of messages, so not all rules will work. The "to" address is blank too. Preview seems to work OK (without showing progress), but I haven't tested it with attachments. It will only work with the messages in your first page of your inbox.

The source is available is someone wants to improve it.
Last edited by Renier on Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

quosego
Guru

Post by quosego » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:16 pm

aha.... not bad for a piece of "very beta" code :)

I can confirm most of the features you mentioned but in my case previewing does not work.
Deleting messages on gmail works fine.

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:38 pm

I installed this plug-in on Friday, and it worked great.

Today, I keep getting socket error #10061. Not sure what that means. Just thought I would let you know. Thanks.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:34 am

Renier wrote:Connection Refused usually means the server is up and you are able to connect to it, but it is refusing to connect on the port (POP3) you specified. Usually this is because the POP3 service is not running (crashed, maintenance, rebooting?).
For more info and other causes of this error, use the forum's Search feature and search for socket error 10061 (remember to use the Search for all terms option). (That will probably give you more than you want to read. :D )

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:12 pm

Strange. I went into my settings, clicked on Plug-ins and saw that the Gmail plug-in had become unchecked. I clicked the checkbox, and now it's working again.

Thanks for the cool stuff.

Greg
First Timer

Any success with gmail plug-in and XP SP2?

Post by Greg » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:43 am

Hi,

I have XP SP2 (Pro), poptray 3.1 Beta 7 and trying to get the gmail plugin working. It does work from home quite nicely (no SP2, and no corporate firewall). At work where I have XP Pro SP2, I consistently get the 10061 error but only when attempting to get to gmail (POP3 works fine). I've read all the 10061 messages and tried the fixes with no success to this point. Do I need to allow a particular port clear passage through the various software firewalls (like maybe port 2113)? Is there a log file that will help in debugging this?

Thanks,
Greg

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:12 am

No log file, sorry.

The only ports it would require are HTTPS (443) and HTTP (80).

Greg
First Timer

By no means elegant but....

Post by Greg » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:23 pm

I solved my problem (unable to use the gmail plugin through corporate firewall) by installing http://freepops.sourceforge.net and starting it with "-P proxy.whatever.com:8080" and then then set up my gmail account to use POP3 (instead of gmail plugin) and localhost, port 2000, my full gmail address and password and voila! ;) I can at least use this until there is proxy support inside of poptray. My main interest is in new mail notification.

Greg

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:34 am

ehm...
a lot of people with a gmail account, I see... :wink: But, I cannot help, I don't have any! :roll:

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:03 am

I've sent you an invitation if you are interested.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:03 am

:o thanks!

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:19 pm

Hi Renier,

There is a program called gPopper which gives POP3 access to Gmail, you may want to have a look at the source code of that. www.gpopper.com

However, when I use PopTray with gPopper I get the following error message in the tray mouseover:

----------

Connect Error: Unrecognized POP3 Response Header:
"
"

----------

Any ideas?

OK I could try the new plugin with PopTray but it would be good to have all the settings in one program.

TIA,
Pete.

smileypete
First Timer

Post by smileypete » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:57 pm

Hi,

Update to the above, I've found that PopTray works well with FreePOPs, so I can use PopTray and FreePOPs for gmail notification and Eudora and gPopper to send and receive gmail, :D

cheers,
Pete.

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:41 pm

Currently there are no plans (that I'm aware of) to make PopTray into a full email client, hence you won't be able to send email with it no matter what type of email server is used. It was made to only be a mail notifier.

It sounds as if FreePops, or a similar program, may be best suited for your needs since you can use it with your email client you currently use as well as programs like PopTray.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:00 am

Hi RdSok,

Sorry, I should have been more clear (as usual :roll:). gPopper has send and receive capability so PopTray should work with it ideally, although it gives the error message I reported.

Nevertheless PopTray works with FreePOPs so it's not such a problem.

Thanks for the reply.
Pete.

fogwall

Two accounts not working

Post by fogwall » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:09 pm

When checking two different gmail accounts at the same time, only the first one works. The messages from the first account are shown also in the second account.

ChiMan
First Timer

Post by ChiMan » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:27 pm

When I test my Gmail account, I get a Exception EidSocketError in module GMailPlugin.dll at 0001DCD6. What gives?

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:08 am

If you have just installed the plugin, enabled it from the plugins options page and set up a new account to use the Gmail plugin, it is recommended that you close, not just minimize but actually close Poptray and then restart it.

Certain changes to PopTray, such as adding plugins, still cause an error if you don't close and restart.

If this doesn't clear up the problem, start a new thread in the Bug Reports area not in this thread. Each type of problem is usually unique and should have its own thread. This is just a thread that anounced the release of the plugin as a beta and isn't the proper area for reporting problems.

ilNebbioso
PopTray Family

Post by ilNebbioso » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:13 am

Finally I had some time to open the GMail account and to test it with PopTray. Here no problem found, for the moment. I didn't need to shut down and run again PopTray 3.1b7RC1.... :D

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:11 am

I'we used gmail plugin for PopTray for some weeks and everything worked great until a week ago when I constantly started getting "socket error 10061". Reading this forum I got the following idear:

I disabled my gmail account in PopTray (unchecked it on the accounts page), went to "options" / "plug-ins" and unckecked the gmail plugin, chose "save options", re-checked the gmail plugin, clicked "save uptions" once again, went back to accounts and activated my gmail account again. Now it works.

That is stoped working in the first place might have had something to do with XP SP2 and its limit on tcp/ip connections as I maxed out on them about the same time the gmail plugin stopped workin. Perhaps XP somehow "blacklisted" it temporarily, not allowing it to create new connections?

Short version: "re-initializing" the gmail plug-in seemed to do the trick for me.