IMAPConnected Plug-in

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Renier
Site Admin

IMAPConnected Plug-in

Post by Renier » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:22 am

I have a problem with my Linux server that connecting to POP3/IMAP4 is very slow (30+ seconds). To overcome this, I created the IMAPConnected plugin. This is based on the normal IMAP plugin in the examples file, but instead of connecting on each check, it stays connected. This is 100 times faster for me since the slow connecting is eliminated. This is still using the Indy components (although a later version), so some of the normal IMAP problems will probably still be there, but it works for me.

I don't know if anybody else will have a use for this, but I'll share it anyway. You can download it here.

I am also investigating the IMAP IDLE command (RFC 2177). Maybe in future this plugin will support this too. Note that not all servers support this since it isn't even in the standard IMAP4rev1 RFC.

PS. If anybody knows how to solve my Linux slow connection problem, I will be VERY grateful.

mpot
Fanatic

Re: IMAPConnected Plug-in

Post by mpot » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:52 am

Renier wrote:I have a problem with my Linux server that connecting to POP3/IMAP4 is very slow (30+ seconds).
PS. If anybody knows how to solve my Linux slow connection problem, I will be VERY grateful.
What mail server software are you using?
Is it slow connecting with both POP3 and IMAP4, or just one?

Cheers,
Martin.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:40 pm

While researching the problem to give you a better answer, I actually solved it.

Looking here: http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/#7.24
I made the changes to the xinetd config files, and now it connects quickly.

Thanks for helping me help myself.

I'll still be using the IMAPConnected plugin though. It is still faster than reconnecting (especially with SSL), and I want to experiment with the IDLE command in future.

mjeveritt
Groupie

Post by mjeveritt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:15 am

There have been a few people who have posted/pm'ed/IM'ed me about trying to use the IDLE command for IMAP. Do let me know how you get on, because as you point out, the program needs to check whether the connected server supports the IDLE extension. The other issue I identified was reversing the check procedure which just wouldn't be necessary using the IDLE command. Again.. let me know what you think about this.

Development on the Delphi IMAP plugin is currently frozen awaiting debug feedback. I know there are issues out there, but my testbed had ironed out as many of the bugs as I could quickly pin-point. PLEASE let me know if you have any error logs from the plugin and pm or email these back to me for analysis. The IMAP specification is so loose, and the Indy components quite badly written imo. I believe there was talk of using a different libary for the IMAP functions... did anyone investigate this, and what were their findings??

Anyhow, keep going Renier .. although I don't use the prog anymore (good old Broadband is here, and my IM program now checks for me) it is well appreciated in the global community.

bumpert
First Timer

Post by bumpert » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:05 pm

This plugin is the only one for imap that worked for me. One wasn't able to connect to my serverand the other one wasn't able to delete mail on my server. Is there a way to be able to have more than one account using this plugin? Cause when i set this to my two account, that give me an error on the second telling me that the plugin is now only able to be used with one account... could be very helfull :)

thx a lot for this good plugin

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:45 pm

This plugin is based on the plugin in the Examples package. Have you tried that one too?

bumpert
First Timer

Post by bumpert » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:14 pm

Yes, with this one PopTray_Plug-in_IMAP4rev1-02.2005.mar.28 and the ProtocolIMAP4rev1.dll i got an error that is not able to connect to my mail server and with this ProtIMAP.dll i got the same problem.

With ProtocolIMAP4, it's strange it find me like 63 old mails instead od the 3 i have now in my inbox (and it's not my imap the problem, cause at home with thunderbird i have the 3 mail only) but i'll try it much more to see if it could be ok.

If it's not ok i'll give you feedback

thx a lot for help and your software :)

bumpert
First Timer

Post by bumpert » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:20 pm

this plugin act strange, i can't delete my mail even if my server allow it.

I tried the last one i found into PopTrayPlugins_beta6.exe and this one works perfectly :)

thx a lot