Question about Hotmail plug-in

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

dpetka2001
Still here

Question about Hotmail plug-in

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:08 pm

I would like to make a question about the Hotmail plug-in...is it able to check for new mail in other folders aswell except Inbox?? is there any option I should check?? if not does anyone know how I could check other folders aswell for new mail even if I have to use another application?? thanks in advance...

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:04 pm

dpetka2001 wrote:if not does anyone know how I could check other folders aswell for new mail even if I have to use another application?? thanks in advance...
KY Dave wrote:I suggest using FREEPOPS with PopTray to access HOTMAIL, GMAIL, AOL, YAHOO and other webmail.

Here is a link to SUPPORTED DOMAINS
They are listed on the bottom half of the linked page.

FREEPOPS is located HERE.

After DOWNLOADING and INSTALLING FREEPOPS,
in PopTray on the ACCOUNTS tab...

SERVER = LOCALHOST or 127.0.0.1
PROTOCOL = POP3
PORT = 2000
LOGIN = YOUR FULL EMAIL ADDRESS
PASSWORD = PASSWORD

Save Accounts

QUIT PopTray and RESTART.
-----------------------------------
FreePops should be running and showing in the system's tray. You should also copy the shortcut for FREEPOPS to your STARTUP Folder. This way it will start and be running when you check email.

You must also let FREEPOPS have internet access in your firewall program.
If you decide to install FREEPOPS, after installation, then download the latest HOTMAIL.LUA at the url below...
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/freepops/hotmail.lua
Then select your download site, download the lua, and place it in your PROGRAMS\FREEPOPS\LUA Directory overwriting the earlier version.

To access other FOLDERS in HOTMAIL...
you would need to change your LOGIN to use ?folder=junk

As an example...
dpetka2001@hotmail.com?folder=junk

The forum doesn't display the entire login as an email address, but it will work. I use it that way. One account in PopTray set up as a normal login and another with the ?folder=junk to access the JUNK folder.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:58 pm

You must also let FREEPOPS have internet access in your firewall program.
does this also apply when I am behind a router?? should I open the port determined also in the NAT configuration??

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:04 pm

If you can access HOTMAIL with your browser,
then you should be able to use FREEPOPS thru the same port as the browser without opening another port.

As I understand, FREEPOPS uses the same port as a browser (port 80 I think) to communicate with the internet. Port 2000 is used in the email client setup to direct data to FREEPOPS.
KY Dave

Family Blog

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:10 pm

yes you are right...however I cannot access the rest of my folders...I used

Code: Select all

dpetka2001@hotmail.com?folder=Insomnia
in the Login to access a folder called Insomnia but it seems to only get the mails I have in my Inbox...so in the account Insomnia I have the same mails as in my Inbox...any thoughts regarding what should I do?? how should the Login be set?? is it the right way as I wrote above?? thanks...

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:13 pm

Maybe, don't use the capital "I" in the login.

dpetka2001@hotmail.com?folder=insomnia
KY Dave

Family Blog

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:29 pm

I tried to do this but now I get another error...it says

Connect Error: Connection closed gracefully
when before I had no problem connecting to the server...what is going on?? could you tell me how you have it set up to watch the Junk E-mail folder?? write how you have it with a fake email address so I only have to put mine instead?? thanks...

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:09 pm

what do I have to do about the error I am getting above??

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:54 pm

I use...
SERVER = 127.0.0.1
PORT = 2000

kydave@hotmail.com?folder=junk
That is not a real address, but that is the correct way to access the junk folder using FREEPOPS.

After checking the FREEPOPS web site, I found a MANUAL located at the link below. It may indicate that you can only access the standard HOTMAIL folders.
http://www.freepops.org/en/files/html-manual/
Description:
This plugin lets you download mail from @hotmail.com and similar mailboxes. To use this plugin you have to use your full email address as the username and your real password as the password. For support, please post a question to the forum instead of emailing the author(s).
Parameters:
folder
The folder you want to interact with. Default is Inbox, other values are: Junk, Trash, Draft, Sent.
emptytrash
Parameter is used to force the plugin to empty the trash when it is done pulling messages. Set the value to 1.
markunread
Parameter is used to have the plugin mark all messages that it pulls as unread. If the value is 1, the behavior is turned on.
Sorry, but I may have not been able to solve your problem with folders you create.
KY Dave

Family Blog

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:58 pm

after reading the .pdf manual about the modules I came to the same conclusion myself...though for other plugins this can be done...I think it's just a matter of implementation so I will file a request at freepops forums and maybe someone will do it...what about my connection problem I described 2 posts before?? what does that connection error mean??

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:11 pm

There are lots of reasons it could be, server was busy, too much traffic, etc...

Just a normal problem, probably because of the login you were trying. It means something didn't work, so PopTray closed the connection with the server. That way you can access the account again quickly, where as sometimes it maybe locked if not closed properly.

In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, ADVANCED OPTIONS
you can check the 2nd and 3rd boxes and PopTray will IGNORE CONNECTION and RETRIEVE ERRORS.
SAVE OPTIONS, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.

Then if there is a problem, PopTray will continue to do it's automatic checks.

I noticed you had posted on the FREEPOPS forum also, trying to find a fix. Russells is the programer of the HOTMAIL.LUA.

Good luck, I hope you can find what you're after...
KY Dave

Family Blog

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:46 pm

well the strange thing is that I think this is happening only when I an working PopTray with FreePops...if I set to the options to work it with the Hotmail plugin provided by PopTray then everything works fine...except of course it doesn't support downloading messages from other folders which is why I prefer using FreePops...

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:40 pm

Are you able to download your HOTMAIL INBOX using FREEPOPS and PopTray using the username dpetka2001@hotmail.com without ?folder=junk.

If not...
then FREEPOPS doesn't have internet access or
you haven't downloaded the latest HOTMAIL.LUA and saved it as PROGRAMS\FREEPOPS\LUA\hotmail.lua

You can use NOTEPAD to open PROGRAMS\FREEPOPS\LUA\hotmail.lua file and see if it is PLUGIN_VERSION = "0.1.2f"

If you can, then I have no other ideas, except to post on the FREEPOPS forum and contact with RUSSELLS on there also.
KY Dave

Family Blog

dpetka2001
Still here

Post by dpetka2001 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:12 am

Globals
--
PLUGIN_VERSION = "0.1.2b"
PLUGIN_NAME = "hotmail.com"
this is what it says...is there a newer version 0.1.2f?? where can I download it from?? thanks...

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:04 am

I have PMed you the hotmail.lua code, follow the directions with it.
Since this is a FREEPOPS issue, let's continue it with PMs.

Let me know by PM when it works for you, because I have another suggestion once you have it working.
KY Dave

Family Blog