Speech Plugin number handling

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

jskinner
Groupie

Speech Plugin number handling

Post by jskinner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:18 pm

I'm thinking of changing how the Speech plugin (http://james.istop.com/PopTray/MicrosoftSpeech/) handles emails where the from address contains numbers.

Currently the plugin just says the number. For example if the email is from james68@somewhere.org, it says "James sixty-eight"

This works well in most cases except when you get long number or only a number only. For example Vonage sends emails with the from field set to your phone number. In this case the plugin trys to speak this as a number "Six hundred and thirteen million, five hundred ninty-six ..." This is not so good.

I'm trying to come up with an good algorithm to deal with this. So far what I have done is that if the from field contains _only_ digits than I say the digits one at a time rather than all together as a number. (For example 6-1-3-...) Does that sound like a good approach? Any other suggestions?

thanks, -james
Last edited by jskinner on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:26 am

Even james123456 you probably don't want to hear the actual big number. Maybe if there is more than a certain number of numbers in the word?

jskinner
Groupie

Post by jskinner » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Renier wrote:Even james123456 you probably don't want to hear the actual big number. Maybe if there is more than a certain number of numbers in the word?
Yes I think your idea is a better approach. I wonder what the right number of digits is? I'm thinking if its more than two digits?

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:10 pm

Sounds right. 2 or 3.