Gmail message count

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

StephenR
First Timer

Gmail message count

Post by StephenR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:33 pm

I have just started using PopTray, so apologies if this is obvious. However, for my Gmail account I notice that the message counter in the system tray does not get reset when the mails are read. I would like the mail counter to behave the same as my "standard" email account i.e. counter indicates there are new mails, I open my mail client and then the counter is reset. I presume the difference is that I am actually downloading the messages when I am using my normal email account, where as with Gmail they stay on the server.

Basically I would like to know if there is a way for the counter in the tray to display the number of unread messages, rather than just new messages?

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:50 am

KY Dave wrote:in PopTray, OPTIONS TAB, USER INTERFACE, check the box for INDICATE VIEWED AND UNVIEWED MESSAGES.

in PopTray, OPTIONS TAB, MISCELLANEOUS, check the box for REMEMBER VIEWED MESSAGES.

QUIT PopTray, RESTART for changes to take effect.

FYI - PopTray considers an email as read when you click on the tab for the account and the email is present in the account window, NOT when you actually read the email. There is currently no way to change this behavior in PopTray.
KY Dave wrote:Try this to see if it fixes your problem...

In PopTray on the OPTIONS TAB, GENERAL OPTIONS, check the box for RESET MAIL COUNT IN TRAY WHEN VIEWING.

SAVE OPTIONS.

QUIT PopTray (not minimize) and RESTART for changes to take effect.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

StephenR
First Timer

Post by StephenR » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:31 pm

KY Dave wrote:PopTray considers an email as read when you click on the tab for the account and the email is present in the account window, NOT when you actually read the email. There is currently no way to change this behavior in PopTray.
This is the key point I think. I want PopTray to consider the message viewed when I actually read it in the web browser, rather than through the PopTray interface. Sounds like this is not possible. I think this is actually a limitation of POP3, as I don't think you can get a list of UNREAD messages from the server, just a list of all messages that haven't been downloaded yet. Never mind.

willydumaz
First Timer

Poptray shall remember

Post by willydumaz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:44 pm

I use poptray with thunderbird, because I don´t want thundebird to take all my RAM just for checking emails.

poptray is very handy in this case, whenever I get a mail, it plays a sound and shows the number of messages in the tray. then I start thunderbird by doubleclicking on the poptray icon.

the numbers disappear.

the only annoying thing is that everytime I start windows, poptray has forgotten which emails I´ve already read and the numbers reappear, although I´ve already read the 85 mails in my inbox.

i would be very handy if poptray would remember the mails I´ve already read. maybe, to save drivespace it could just remeber the date and hour till when I´ve already read the mails.