Problems with gmail

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

tanin
First Timer

Problems with gmail

Post by tanin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi,
I followed the sticky and setup a gmail account with PopTray, but I'm having few problems :
1)I got 339 mails on gmail, but PT only retrieve 303, and none of them are the lastest.
2)How can I set PT the retrieve only unread mail? and once I retrieve all the unread mail, will it keep displaying it till it's read or will it disappear(since sometimes I leave a mail unread for weeks, and I don't want it to keep showing up)?
3)Is it possible to open my browser with gmail's address when double clicking a mail?

Hope I'm clear

Thanks a bunch

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Problems with gmail

Post by KY Dave » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:58 pm

tanin wrote:Hi,
I followed the sticky and setup a gmail account with PopTray, but I'm having few problems :
1)I got 339 mails on gmail, but PT only retrieve 303, and none of them are the lastest.
Something is timing out, which isn't a surprise.

FreePOPs isn't designed to retrieve that many emails from a web mail server. Usually, it works best if you don't leave your email on the server and it will reliably retrieve up to 100 on most servers.

You could set GMAIL to ARCHIVE your email after it is downloaded. You would still have it in case it was needed, but you wouldn't spend the extra time downloading it each retrieval. The email remains in the INBOX until it is DELETED, then GMAIL ARCHIVES the email to a separate ARCHIVE folder.
tanin wrote: 2)How can I set PT the retrieve only unread mail? and once I retrieve all the unread mail, will it keep displaying it till it's read or will it disappear(since sometimes I leave a mail unread for weeks, and I don't want it to keep showing up)?
PopTray doesn't work that way, PT will download ALL the mail, everytime it connects. Most email clients do the same thing, they just remember which emails have been viewed. POP3 protocol doesn't mark emails read or unread, you would need an IMAP account for that to be possible.

PopTray will 'remember viewed email' but it will still download them again and again, just like most email clients.
tanin wrote: 3)Is it possible to open my browser with gmail's address when double clicking a mail?
Not by double clicking an email, but you can copy the LOGIN url for GMAIL into the EMAIL CLIENT Box near the bottom of the window on your GMAIL ACCOUNT TAB. Then when you are on the GMAIL ACCOUNT, click RUN EMAIL CLIENT to start your browser and automatically open the GMAIL login page. You will still have to enter your PASSWORD unless you have the box checked for REMEMBER ME ON THIS COMPUTER.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

tanin
First Timer

Post by tanin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm

I see. Thanks for the reply.