Pop tray erases pop3 e-mail in g mail?

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Geert
Evolving

Pop tray erases pop3 e-mail in g mail?

Post by Geert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:32 pm

Hello,
At work I have Poptray installed with the gmail plug in and I also installed some other Pop3 accounts. When I receive a gmail message and I read it in Pop tray, then the next time when Poptray checks the gmail account I don't see the message anymore in Pop tray. (I did not erase the message.) The messages in the other Pop3 accounts I still see.

Also at home: If i looked at a gmail message with Poptray at work eg at 1600 hours, then it is not possible anymore to receive that message at home with Outlook Express at 1700 hours....

What is the solution? Thanks for your answers!

Geert

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:44 pm

Most likely it is a setting in your GMAIL Account.

LOGIN to your GMAIL Account, click SETTINGS, FORWARDING AND POP...

then on the second option...

2. When messages are accessed with POP ...

select LEAVE IN INBOX.

SAVE SELECTIONS and then EXIT or LOG OUT.

Now when your emails are accessed they will remain until one of your email clients deletes them.

If this doesn't fix the problem, when you reply please indicate if you are using the SSL Plugin, FreePOPs or something else to connect to GMAIL.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:51 pm

Tanks for your answer but I did not fix the problem. I am not using free pops but i am using the plugin :Gmail"

Do you have a solution?

Thank you!

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:48 pm

If I use the mail notification form Gmail, then it still is possible to get later the POP3 messages with Outlook Express form the server. Why does it go wrong with Pop-Tray??

Thanks for your answer

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Please make sure your email client is not deleting the email.

If not, then it must have something to do with the GMAIL Plugin?

I've tried using the SSL Plugin to access GMAIL and it doesn't remove the email. You might try it.

--------------------------
To check GMAIL accounts using POP3 you need to install the SSL Plugin.

The SSL Plugin is available at Source Forge, use the link below for a direct download after choosing your d/l site...

Download PopTrayPlugins_beta6.exe

Download the plugin using the above links and follow these directions...

Double CLick the PopTrayPlugins_beta6.exe file.
Install to PopTray Directory. It should automatically create Plugins directory. If not point the installer to the Plugins directory you have created.

Start PopTray and on the OPTIONS TAB, PLUGINS, Check the box for POP3 with SSL or APOP
SAVE OPTIONS

In PopTray ACCOUNTS TAB, GMAIL ACCOUNT, PROTOCOL, select SSL
Use your full email address in small letters including domain -> somebody@gmail.com
SAVE ACCOUNTS, QUIT PopTray and RESTART for changes to take effect.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:50 pm

I have done all the things you wrote. But sorry it does not work.
Is there another possibilty to get the POP messages with Pop tray from gmail in a way that the messages after looking with Pop tray can be downloaded with Oulook Express?? (Just as other popmail accounts)

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 am

The information that KYDave mentioned DOES work if performed as stated. I use those exact settings and retrieve the emails in my email client just fine.

You have either missed something told to you or have a rule setup that is deleting the emails...

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:31 am

I'm sorry Rdsock but I have tried 5 times exact the seting as above but it does not work. :Violation error by accessin...""
I have no Rules.

Geert

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:37 pm

I have installed the latest version of Pop tray now and now I can receive the messages from Gmail but: again, when I looked to the Gmail message with Pop tray, then in is not possible to download that POP message with Outlook Express anymore. Other Pop3 accounts it still is possible.
Who can help me???

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:10 pm

Disable all rules... remove all blacklisted email address's

If the problem still happens after this... it is your settings for the Gmail account itself that need changed that were told to you at first by KYDave.

Those are the only possible causes..

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:30 pm

Now I noticed something very strange: When there is a message in Gmail then Pop tray notifies that every time correctly, but:
when I open the message (in Poptray) then the next time the accounts where checked by Pop tray, Pop tray does not show the message anymore but the message is still in my inbox in Gmail!...) That will be the reason that Outlook Express also "sees" no message anymore)
What setting must I change and how(in gmail or Pop tray) in that way that after I have opened a message in Pop tray this message still will be counted ans seen as a "not seen" message?? (Just as my other POP3 accounts)
Thanks for your suggestions!

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:22 pm

KY Davy already told you what you needed to do on Gmails settings in the very first post to you. Go to your GMail account on the web and make those changes.

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:38 pm

I have made those changes in my gmail account as said in the first answer of this forumtopic but the problem still exists.
(The message stays in the inbox in gmail, but Poptray and Outlook Express don't "see" the message anymore after reading it in Pop tray.)
How can I fix it?
Thanks for your help.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:47 am

What AntiVirus or email scanning programs are checking the email before PopTray or Outlook Express have a chance to 'see it'?

That might be where the problem has developed. If it's still in GMAIL and PopTray can't see it on the server, the problem is whatever program is between PopTray and GMAIL's server.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:30 am

Hello KY Dave,

I use Norton Antivirus 2004. I did turn off the antivirus programm but the problem still remains. (After reading gmail messages in Pop tray, then at the next accounts check, Outlook Express and Pop tray don't "see" the gmail message anymore, although it is in the Inbox at the Gmail account.).

My assumption now is that Gmail has made something in their accounts that after reading a message with a POP mailer, the next time, the message is not seen anymore by the Pop mailer.
My assumption further is that they made it that way to prevent that Outlook Express every time all messages in the inbox of gmail will download and people get an inbox in Outlook with al lot of double messages. So they made it probably to get a good "synchronizing" between gmail inbox and Outlook Express inbox.

What i realize is that I can use Pop tray to let me see/know that er is a gmail message but I must not open the message wilt Pop tray because I can not download the gmail message with Outlook Express anymore.

Are my assumptions right?

Thanks for the upcoming reactions.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:59 pm

Geert wrote:My assumption now is that Gmail has made something in their accounts that after reading a message with a POP mailer, the next time, the message is not seen anymore by the Pop mailer.
My assumption further is that they made it that way to prevent that Outlook Express every time all messages in the inbox of gmail will download and people get an inbox in Outlook with al lot of double messages. So they made it probably to get a good "synchronizing" between gmail inbox and Outlook Express inbox.
I don't think this is correct.

I access GMAIL accounts and the messages are viewable as long as I leave them in there. I use three computers and can 'see' the messages on all three PCs. I use the LEAVE GMAIL'S COPY IN THE INBOX setting when using POP3. I hope you SAVED your setting in GMAIL when you made your changes, if not then that's the problem.

Otherwise, I would look to NAV for the fix to the problem. It' not PopTray.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:31 pm

I can "see" the messages too in the inbox at gmail.com.
But: after the gmail messages are opened with Pop tray it is not possible anymore to download the messages later with Outlook Express (although I can still "see" the messages in inbox at gmail .com).

Geert.

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:38 pm

Dear KY,

Maybe this will explain better:

Send a message to your gmail account.

Check with Pop tray all accounts (inclusive gmail).

You will see the gmail message in Pop tray.

Open the gmail message in Pop tray and read it.

Check all accounts again in Pop tray (inclusive gmail).

The message has gone in Pop tray. But is still is in the inbox at gmail.
(At my computer) All other Pop messages (other accounts not gmail) are still there)
It is not possible to download the message with Outlook Express
(At my computer)

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:25 pm

I understood your problem from the first post. :)

When I wrote that I can access GMAIL from 3 computers, I meant using PopTray.
I can read the same message unlimited number of times using PopTray and Outlook Express. The messages remain visible until I have PopTray to DELETE them.

I don't know what is causing the problem on your setup. But IMO, it is NOT PopTray.

What happens when you send your self a message and retrieve it with Outlook Express first?
KY Dave

Family Blog

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Post by Rdsok » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:51 am

I think KY Dave is on the right track maybe...

Disabling NAV's resident shield scanner does NOT disable its email scanner which is a completely different component.