Pop tray erases pop3 e-mail in g mail?

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:32 am

Hello KY Dave,

Thanks for all your reactions and help!

If I send myself a message to gmail then it is possible with Outlook Express to receive it. (But when I opened it earlier with Pop tray then it is not possible any more with Outlook Express te get the message).

Could it be that the gmail server in Europe (I live in the Netherlands) works on another way than in the USA?

Geert.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Geert wrote:If I send myself a message to gmail then it is possible with Outlook Express to receive it. (But when I opened it earlier with Pop tray then it is not possible any more with Outlook Express te get the message).

Could it be that the gmail server in Europe (I live in the Netherlands) works on another way than in the USA?
After receiving the message with Outlook Express, can you retrieve the message with PopTray?

Anything is possible, but it would seem unlikely that GMAIL would not work the same.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Hello KY Dave,

No, after receiving a gmail message in Outlook Express it is not possible te see the message in Pop Tray. (But the gmail message is still in the inbox at my gmail account.)

I noticed also that Norton Antivirus scans the messages in Pop tray when downloading my Popaccounts (magnifying glass in tray while downloading message) but is not scanning when downloading the gmail account. I don't know why and I don't know how or if I can change that.

Geert.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:13 pm

Geert wrote:No, after receiving a gmail message in Outlook Express it is not possible te see the message in Pop Tray. (But the gmail message is still in the inbox at my gmail account.)

I noticed also that Norton Antivirus scans the messages in Pop tray when downloading my Popaccounts (magnifying glass in tray while downloading message) but is not scanning when downloading the gmail account. I don't know why and I don't know how or if I can change that.
So that basically proves it is not a PopTray problem.

You will have to RTFM :lol:

Look in the HELP sections that came with NAV to find what settings to use so that they will or will not be scanned. Simply shutting down NAV doesn't stop the scanning feature from working.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:50 pm

What means RTFM?

In Norton Antivirus it is not possible te select one account or provider. You can select "check all mail" or not. I have selected "all mail". Although Pop tray and Outlook Express are not scanned.

But after all my assumption is that the problem is by gmail. I really think that they mark (not visible) all messages in the gmail inbox which were opened by a POP mailler (Outlook Express / Pop tray). All messages stay in my gmail inbox but I van only get them which were not opened already by a Pop mailer.

Geert.

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 pm

In my reply above I mean gmail messages in Outlook and Poptray is not scanned. Other pop accounts are all scanned.

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Geert wrote:What means RTFM?

In Norton Antivirus it is not possible te select one account or provider. You can select "check all mail" or not. I have selected "all mail". Although Pop tray and Outlook Express are not scanned.

But after all my assumption is that the problem is by gmail. I really think that they mark (not visible) all messages in the gmail inbox which were opened by a POP mailler (Outlook Express / Pop tray). All messages stay in my gmail inbox but I van only get them which were not opened already by a Pop mailer.
RTFM = Read The Freakin Manual
It was a joke/kidding, that's why I put the smilie afterwards.

It doesn't make sense that GMAIL would have a setting to ARCHIVE email after POP3 access and then have your mail become 'invisible' to email clients when NOT using that setting.

What I do recommend is to STOP using the GMAIL Plugin, use the SSL Plugin and follow the procedure I posted earlier for setting it up. The GMAIL Plugin stopped functioning several months ago, I'm surprised you can retrieve anything with it. I still think the GMAIL Plugin is the problem.

Your NAV program is probably not scanning the PORTS that are used for SSL, and is scanning the regular email 110 PORT. That's another reason to recommend you read the manual or HELP pages for NAV. I don't use NAV, so I can't help any farther.
KY Dave

Family Blog

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:15 pm

Hello KY Dave,

I have installed the ssl plugin but the problem still remains the same. I am thinking of giving up. I know that I must not open the gmail because I can get it anymore with Outlook Express.
I will go looking in a gmail forum, maybe there is the answer. Do you have any suggestions of gmail forums?

Thanks!

Geert
Evolving

Post by Geert » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:22 pm

By the way: At my office we have another virusscanner (not Norton). But exact the same problems as at home.

Geert.

Gerard Stutje
Still here

Same here

Post by Gerard Stutje » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Gentlemen!

I know this is old, but I though I would add that this happens to me too in 2008! Poptray does everything the rules tell it to do and after that it shows the content of the cleaned out GMail box.

If I do Outlook F9, everything is downloaded to the computer and the mails on the GMail server are moved to Archive. They are still on GMail, but only accessible through webmail.

But if I use Poptray preview (instead of downloading it first to read it) the message will be in the GMail Archive folder afterwards and will not be found by Poptray or Outlook on the next mailrun.
/\
\7erard

Rdsok
PopTray Family

Re: Same here

Post by Rdsok » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Gerard Stutje wrote:Gentlemen!

I know this is old, but I though I would add that this happens to me too in 2008! Poptray does everything the rules tell it to do and after that it shows the content of the cleaned out GMail box.

If I do Outlook F9, everything is downloaded to the computer and the mails on the GMail server are moved to Archive. They are still on GMail, but only accessible through webmail.

But if I use Poptray preview (instead of downloading it first to read it) the message will be in the GMail Archive folder afterwards and will not be found by Poptray or Outlook on the next mailrun.
You need to change the option that Gmail has in its Settings for the POP access then..... the option is labeled 2. When messages are accessed with POP and needs set to keep Gmails copy in the Inbox

Gerard Stutje
Still here

Re: Same here

Post by Gerard Stutje » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Rdsok wrote:
Gerard Stutje wrote:Gentlemen!

I know this is old, ..<snip>.. and will not be found by Poptray or Outlook on the next mail-run.
You need to change the option that Gmail has in its Settings for the POP access then..... the option is labeled 2. When messages are accessed with POP and needs set to keep Gmails copy in the Inbox
Hello mister (or mrs) Rdsok,

Thanks for the time you took to answer me.

I went straight to gmail and sure enough, it was (is) set to archive on pop access.

Of-course changing that would leave the messages in my inbox after F9ing Outlook, I have to do some thinking if I like that.

On other accounts can previsualize the mail with Poptray and later have them downloaded and deleted with your favourite email program.

It's definitely a Gmail feature, no Poptray glitch.
/\
\7erard

varnele
First Timer

a workaround

Post by varnele » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:25 am

it's a google feature.

In your account configuration (poptray) add " recent: " before your gmail address:

recent:<yourname>@gmail.com

this works in all email applications, as long as you want same copies of emails to be on them all (or on different computers).

asdafairy
First Timer

The problem is still there!

Post by asdafairy » Fri May 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi all,

I've used PopTray for many, may years and it is excellent.

When I do a 'preview' with a Gmail account using SSL it previews the mail OK. After this the email has gone. Rather than type lots, here's a summary:

Normal pop - preview email OK - email still there and when downloaded by Outlook it is deleted on server

gmail ssl pop - preview email OK - email GONE afterwards and cannot be viewed again by PopTray or Outlook.

When PopTray previews a normal POP account, whatever goes on in the software doesn't delete it off the server. When PopTray does a preview with Gmail, then the software is deleted off the server.

With Gmail the email is deleted and doesn't know PopTray is only previewing it and hasn't downloaded it like Outlook.

Just to be clear, all emails are stored via the web interface. If I change the Gmail settings to keep email on the server after retrieval, then the PopTray preview will work fine, but they will always stay on the server even if using Outlook!!

So what's the final word on this? Is PopTray SSL doing the correct thing and it's a Gmail 'feature' / bug!!! Or is there some change that can be done to PopTray?

I hope someone can help! If you don't know what I mean, try it on a Gmail account, it will only take a minute and you'll know the problem we've been having!

Long live PopTray!!!

Thanks

jojobear99
PopTrayU Developer

Post by jojobear99 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:33 am

I'm pretty sure the issue you are having with gmail is a gmail problem, not a pop-tray problem. The problem comes down to that gmail's implemenation of POP does not honor the "leave mail on server" header request. When you download a message over pop you can usually set to either delete the message when you are done downloading, or leave the message on the server when you are done downloading. But gmail, because of the way it does its mail archiving, presumes you are "done" downloading a message after the first time you download the message, whether or not poptray (or other client) requests to delete your message. If you go into gmail and reset the POP options to download all mail ever instead of just all mail since (the last time you checked it), the message will reappear on poptray (along with many thousands you probably weren't looking for). This issue is specific to gmail and affects all pop clients, not just poptray.

Jaap
Still here

Post by Jaap » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:53 pm

I also had this problem for a while.
This is a solution that worked for me.
Go to the Pop settings in GMAIL webmail.
Activate IMAP.
and
When messages are accessed with POP : archive GMail's copy

In PopTray plugins check the IMAP4 plugin
In your PopTray account choose protocol IMAP4SSL port 993
Don't use [uncheck] the Gmail plugin !
Close PopTray and restart it.

From now on when PopTray check's the account and there's a new email
you can open the email and read it in PopTray.
The next time PopTray checks the account the email is not deleted / invisable.

After reding the email in PopTray you can download still the email in Outlook Express or another emailclient.

Hope this works.

Jaap.

asdafairy
First Timer

Post by asdafairy » Tue May 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Jaap - you are AWESOME!

THANKS!

That workaround works GREAT!!!

THANK YOU!

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 am

Try this setup to retrieve email uisng POP3 from GMAIL.

Using the POP3 with SSL or APOP Plug-in in PopTray...

SERVER SETTINGS - pop.gmail.com
PROTOCOL - POP SSL
PORT 995
USERNAME - recent:yourusername@gmail.com
PASSWORD - yOUrpASswoRD

In GMAIL...

OPEN your account and Click on SETTINGS, Forwarding and POP/IMAP,

then set the radio button for --> Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on

Now set --> When messages are accessed with POP archive Gmail's copy

Make sure to SAVE your settings before exiting.

The recent command makes the last 30 days of messages available to more than one email client. You can read more in the GMAIL HELP section at the following url...
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=47948
KY Dave

Family Blog