Pack Rat Plugin Discussion

Writing and using PopTray plug-ins

Moderators: KY Dave, jojobear99, Rdsok

oseiei
First Timer

Post by oseiei » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:40 pm

I have installed PackRat plugin and it is a good tool for me ether to save emails on harddrive directly for desktop search or backup purpose.

Could PackRat directory be changed to a subdirectory of My documents or another harddrive but not under Program directory?

S.E.OU

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:58 pm

Hey at least someone is using the plugin.

I can add a customizable directory. No promises on when though.

oseiei
First Timer

suggestion

Post by oseiei » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:35 am

If those emails downloaded were checked as spam, mark as "Spam" at those emails' file name if possible, it will be better to delete those spam emails dowloaded for maintenance.
This is a suggestion.

S.E.OU

Muad'Dib
Still here

Post by Muad'Dib » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:17 am

I agree with oseiei's comment about flagging the spam, but don't forget to flag the deleted messages too.

As I have used PopTray over time, I find that almost always nowadays messages marked spam are actually that. But every once in awhile (either because of a bug in my rules, or some sender I had forgotten about) there will be a message identified as spam that shouldn't be. For that reason I tend use the rules to delete messages very rarely (just in case I'm wrong).

If I knew there was a to save all PopTray deleted messages (even if in some raw "not that easy to read" form), I'd automatically delete a lot more of my junk, since I'd know there'd be a place to pull up that "Did you get my important message?" that someone insists they sent me. Having some tag to search for that indicates deleted messages would significantly help the search procedure.

Currently using the log file helps a lot for such things, but it's an obviously 'after the damage is done' procedure.

I'll download the plug-in now and play around with it and let you know if I see anything else I'd like you to waste your time on! ;)

I'll always remember a great truth about computer storage told to me by a good friend from Sweden:
"Hard drives are binary devices... they are either new or full."
"On the web, everyone knows you're a smartass!"

Seth77
Groupie

Post by Seth77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi

i m using the RatPack (very good) and the Keyboard Lights plugins (very very good!! :D )

but a want to change the RatPack , and i haven t the "uPlugins.pas" for compiling .... (i m a rooking in delphi :oops: )
i want to change the name of the saved email (for example : 10102005195042_email_object.eml)

edit : RatPack make many bug in poptray !!

thx @+

Renier
Site Admin

Post by Renier » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:40 am

uPlugins.pas is part of the PopTray source.

dacosta11
Still here

Deleting mail with PackRat

Post by dacosta11 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:22 am

PackRat is cool because download the files to disk. However, am gonna change it so it fits my needs.
One problem I have is: how to delete the messages after the mail is saved in disk?
can u help me?
Thx.
DaCosta11

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Re: Deleting mail with PackRat

Post by KY Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:35 pm

dacosta11 wrote:One problem I have is: how to delete the messages after the mail is saved in disk?
QUIT PopTray and then you should be able to DELETE those files in the normal way.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

dacosta11
Still here

Re: Deleting mail with PackRat

Post by dacosta11 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:01 pm

KY Dave wrote:
dacosta11 wrote:One problem I have is: how to delete the messages after the mail is saved in disk?
QUIT PopTray and then you should be able to DELETE those files in the normal way.
Greetings Dave.
The point is not deleting the files in disk. That's easy :), but how to delete them from the server, since they remain there after download'em with PackRat.
My Interest on changing packrat is to download only mails that comes from some mail address and delete'em in server after that so when I open OE, he just download the rest of the mails.

Thx,
DaCosta11

KY Dave
Not the Developer

Post by KY Dave » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:20 pm

I'm a moderator of the forum.

You can let the Pack Rat plugin write all emails to disk, then use a RULE to DELETE FROM SERVER any email that fits the RULE's CRITERIA.

The Pack Rat plugin was written as a guide or base for other users to build upon. If the above suggestion doesn't fit your needs, then you might be better off trying to change the code yourself.

You will need to wait on the developer, Renier, to answer any questions concering the programming code and he has stated he is quite busy now, so it may be some time in coming.
KY Dave

Family Blog
You can STOP SPAM using PopFile and PopTray.

dacosta11
Still here

Post by dacosta11 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:35 pm

Your idea fits my needs.
Thx Dave.